Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL 8.0 Released With Many Improvements, Faster Performance

Phoronix: MySQL 8.0 Released With Many Improvements, Faster Performance

It's a busy day in the software and hardware space today as well as a busy week for Oracle with several big releases this week. The latest is the general availability of the long-awaited MySQL 8.0 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MySQL used to be infamous for how terrible it was.
    How is MySQL these days, is it still terrible or is it a solid database these days?

Is JSON in relational databases truly useful or just a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a post-SQL / NoSQL world?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      How is MySQL these days, is it still terrible or is it a solid database these days?

Is JSON in relational databases truly useful or just a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a post-SQL / NoSQL world?
      That infamousy often came from either fanbois of other SQL servers and/or from people using the MyISAM storage engine.

Comment

MySQL and MariaDB are pretty solid for your average use-case. I use it with some web applications which are not exactly small anymore and the performance is reasonable. I tried PostgreSQL as an alternative on a few and the differences in performance were hardly noticable (IAW: code execution time was much more an issue than the raw database speed). As always: YMMV.

JSON with MySQL is just a data type. On MySQL it does some validation checks and provides some functions to extract and modify data from these JSON strings. MariaDB does not support a JSON data type yet (but comes with a few JSON functions). It IS useful even in relational databases, since JSON has become the prime data exchange format for web applications (I use JSON/varchar columns for storing additional log data).

Comment

There are a lot of attributes one may use to describe a software product used by crowd from MySQL customer list... "Terrible" wouldn't be my first choice

Comment

Back in the day, MySQL lacked some basic features such as foreign keys and triggers. PostgreSQL was years ahead in terms of functionality which gave MySQL a bit of a bad reputation.

Nowadays, MySQL has matured and it is a solid RDBMS. It is Ranked #2 according to DB-Engine and it is by far the most popular open source database available. It is used by some big names out there, definitely not a toy.

Comment

Nowadays, MySQL has matured and it is a solid RDBMS. It is Ranked #2 according to DB-Engine and it is by far the most popular open source database available. It is used by some big names out there, definitely not a toy.
              In terms of being a great database to run a website off of, or for a product with relatively few tables and relationships, I agree. If you are talking about using it for enterprise software, leveraging explicit transactions, then no... it sucks. Case in point: https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=48652

JSON storage is very important. The corporate world is going cloud / micro-services and everyone is working with JSON data. Storing and querying that data makes things so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post

In terms of being a great database to run a website off of, or for a product with relatively few tables and relationships, I agree. If you are talking about using it for enterprise software, leveraging explicit transactions, then no... it sucks. Case in point: https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=48652

JSON storage is very important. The corporate world is going cloud / micro-services and everyone is working with JSON data. Storing and querying that data makes things so much easier.
                Don't know if I missed something but I run the queries from the last post by "Pura Vida" on MariaDB (which is MySQL) and saw no deadlocks. Don't say that bugs like these does not exist (every SQL have full bugzillas) but this one I could not reproduce at least not on MariaDB v10.2.14

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post

Back in the day, MySQL lacked some basic features such as foreign keys and triggers. PostgreSQL was years ahead in terms of functionality which gave MySQL a bit of a bad reputation.

Not only that, a lot of other things too. Such as no support for transactions. Then when it supported the transactions the transactions would silently degrade to not being transactions under certain scenarios instead of failing. So even when you wanted to be sure a transaction would go either fully go through or fail, you could never be sure.
                  I've heard so many bad things about it, how it was behaving incorrectly.

I know MySQL is very popular, because it is an integral part of the LAMP stack and powers so many WordPress sites. But just because it is popular does not mean it is good.
                  Is it reliable, is it well-behaved these days?

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                  JSON is indeed important. But maybe in those cases a real document database such as MongoDB should be used?
                  I love JSON but is JSON in relational databases just a toy and a desperate attempt to stay relevant or is a real improvement that is really useful?

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  Don't know if I missed something but I run the queries from the last post by "Pura Vida" on MariaDB (which is MySQL) and saw no deadlocks. Don't say that bugs like these does not exist (every SQL have full bugzillas) but this one I could not reproduce at least not on MariaDB v10.2.14
                  For a while it seemed like not much was happening to MySQL and people were migrating away from MySQL to MariaDB which was the "new" MySQL in the same way that LibreOffice became the new OpenOffice.org. Many people feared MySQL would starve under Oracle as happened to many other products under the management of Oracle but it seems that MySQL is alive and kicking.
                  How does MySQL compare with MariaDB these days?
                  Are the code bases pretty close or have they diverged significantly?
                  Which one is the preferred choice?

Comment

JSON is indeed important. But maybe in those cases a real document database such as MongoDB should be used?
                    The thing is, pure document databases aren't all that useful, because they're *only* good at storing documents. And that suits some domains, sure, but for many others, it's useless, e.g. because they store a lot of relational data that doesn't really fit a document approach. So yes, having a database that supports a hybrid model – mostly relational, but with decent document support – is actually pretty useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X