Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV vs. AMDVLK Vulkan Drivers Continue Stiff Performance Battle

Phoronix: RADV vs. AMDVLK Vulkan Drivers Continue Stiff Performance Battle

With the RADV Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver continuing to be advanced by Valve and other independent developers while AMD continues with open-source code drops of their official AMDVLK Vulkan driver, it's been a friendly open-source Radeon Vulkan driver performance and feature/extension battle since that official AMD Vulkan driver was opened up at the end of last year. With new AMDVLK/XGL/PAL code drops happening about weekly and RADV continuing to receive new feature/performance work every few days, both drivers continue maturing gracefully as shown by our latest performance benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...is where AMDVLK does tend to perform about the same as AMDVLK or sometimes better
    Its only competition is itself.

Comment

I don't see competition as not a typo, that more looks like some kind of self-injury marketized

Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Is this going to be radeonhd all over again? Except instead of Suse developing it, Red Hat and Valve did.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Is this going to be radeonhd all over again? Except instead of Suse developing it, Red Hat and Valve did.
          Probably AMDVLK will find its niche in the PRO drivers and RADV will stay as it is, after all is already on Mesa OOB

Comment

AMD and Mesa devs have both done a very good job. RADV seems to be working a bit better with lower resolutions while AMDVLK seems to driving Vega GPUs to stronger performance with high resolutions. The competition shows where each driver can be improved - perhaps this naturally originated competitive situation is better than at first sight.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              AMD and Mesa devs have both done a very good job. RADV seems to be working a bit better with lower resolutions while AMDVLK seems to driving Vega GPUs to stronger performance with high resolutions. The competition shows where each driver can be improved - perhaps this naturally originated competitive situation is better than at first sight.
              That would lead me to believe AMDVLK generates better shaders whereas RADV has lower CPU overhead.

Comment

I'm going to reiterate what I said before. I do not like having 2 drivers for the same thing. Yes they are OSS both, yes they can be "swapped at runtime" even. Yes they create competition.

But they also create confusion. Everyone seems to be forgetting about game developers/porters who are already facing a big mess when it comes to linux (which distro? X11 or Wayland? which cards?)

Now they get another 2x to the already 100+ choice matrix to fill in and continue monitoring. "Your recently AAA ported title will work on Ubuntu version X nvidia and maybe AMD but we're not sure if RADV or AMDVK". Or maybe just "Nvidia only".

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  I'm going to reiterate what I said before. I do not like having 2 drivers for the same thing. Yes they are OSS both, yes they can be "swapped at runtime" even. Yes they create competition.

But they also create confusion. Everyone seems to be forgetting about game developers/porters who are already facing a big mess when it comes to linux (which distro? X11 or Wayland? which cards?)

Now they get another 2x to the already 100+ choice matrix to fill in and continue monitoring. "Your recently AAA ported title will work on Ubuntu version X nvidia and maybe AMD but we're not sure if RADV or AMDVK". Or maybe just "Nvidia only".
                  Valve seems to lead RADV development and Feral also contributes to it. That might indicate what game developers care about.

Comment

amdvlk never worked with dxvk for me. Is it a driver bug, or dxvk is doing something incorrectly?

Comment

Working...
                    X