Apple Is Looking For Linux Kernel Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I don't know why you think Linux is the only OS that has a future. Linux is basically abandoning is server roots in favor of being an embedded OS. Unix has clearly shown it was the right way to do servers so if Linux doesn't want to be like Unix anymore and follow the Unix philosophy then I'm not sure what it will become.. People have been citing the death of Unix since the 90's.. yet it's still here alive and well and maybe more popular that ever.
    Last time I checked nothings supports your point. Thanks. Oh, and Unix is simply dead. Be it servers, embedded, HPC and so on. You have no idea about the Linux kernel development. There's no single thing from embedded world more important than desktop and servers. Furthermore, there seems to be no noticeable conflicts between them.
    Last edited by Guest; 01 April 2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

They have to abandon the BSD kernel and switch MacOS to using Linux, because of HugGate. They can't have hugs disallowed in an OS that's primarily used by teenage girls.

Comment

Maybe they just want to take MacOS public (Anyone can install and use it, on any computer), while leveraging the massive amounts of development happening around AMDGPU and Mesa - plus all of those new users would spend money in the Apple Store, and would be more likely to buy and Apple device - i don't see much of a downside IF they genuinely did it..

Tho i have a feeling winning the lottery is more likely than this happening :P

Comment

I guess they want just Linux know how for the Darwin kernel.

Comment

Last edited by k1e0x; 05 April 2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              And that its performance is subpar at best, and that the hardware it runs on will cook itself out in years if you use it for anything serious, and that the "updates" might also degrade performance because of planned obsolescence.

No thanks. Apple stuff might be Unix but there are other downsides that make it a far worse choice than Linux or FreeBSD.
              Plus it usually is ugly design wise, either for hardware or OS. Still look like trendy toys stuff to me for iSheeps, even though they at least got out of their Ikea kitsch (without the irony) period.
              Marketing does definitely change perception of people. I prefer classy and sober to Apple, every single time.

We should not let them touch or corrupt anything related to Linux.

Comment

Ya, it's ironic that Unix has more desktop share than Linux though due to Apple. Sure it's commercial but it might be the paragon of the *nix desktop example being that you still have a shell and all the power at your fingertips + a nice gui to boot.. Sucks it costs so much..

edit: Ironic because all the desktop work on Linux, but in a way people already have a perfectly good, well supported *nix desktop.. they just have to pay for it. No I'm not a huge fan of Apple but it does fill that hole really well and I wouldn't cry if I had to use it as a workstation as opposed to Linux.
                Have you heard the good news of our Lord and Savior, Chrome OS?

Comment

Therefore Apple is moving to Linux kernel because it's the only OS that will exist in the world.. lol Ya right. You even realize how ridiculous your argument sounds?
                  MacOS may be a "certified UNIX" but that nomer is worth crap. There is nothing inherently UNIX-y about it. Especially when you consider the purity test/rules laid out by those token UNIX graybeards. If GNU/Linux can't pass them, neither can MacOS. It's simply one of these "paid for perks" Apple got but the Linux Foundation never cared for.

Fun fact: Both "XNU" (the MacOS kernel) and "GNU" stand for "X is not UNIX" and "GNU is not UNIX", respectively.

Comment

Therefore Apple is moving to Linux kernel because it's the only OS that will exist in the world.. lol Ya right. You even realize how ridiculous your argument sounds?
                    Still makes more sense than your bold statements like "Linux is abandoning server market", and "Unix has demonstrated it is better for server market", let's not forget this.

Comment

I've heard rumors that Apple never used their own software at their data centers. Since Mac OS is a toy operating system that's barely good enough for desktop computers, I never doubted this.

As the job ad on GlassDoor says 5 years embedded Linux experience needed, maybe they don't even want to use their own software for small devices anymore? Who could blame them? With all of the humiliating bugs in the iPhone, one even made its way into an Apple commercial (a text message writing itself into the notification area before a bubble could form around it). With developers and users getting tired of all of the bugs in iOS, Apple can barely keep a lid on it anymore. The tech media has been calling them out for iOS getting buggier every release for the past two years. FWIW, Steve Wozniak suggested that Apple do an Android phone several years ago.

And it's not just iOS that's garbage. How do bugs like "log in as root by hitting enter with an empty password field" get into Mac OS, get fixed by an update that doesn't fix it, get undone by an OS update that backs the patch out, and have to get fixed again? This is some Keystone Kops stuff.
                      Last edited by BaronHK; 01 April 2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X