Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Is On The Verge Of Having Basic Compute Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Is On The Verge Of Having Basic Compute Support

Karol Herbst, who is a long-time Nouveau contributor who joined Red Hat at the end of last year, along with other hat-wearing Linux developers continue working on Nouveau compute support for this open-source NVIDIA driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand, is this development paid by RedHat or not?

Because if it is, then there is some chances that RedHat convinces (pays) NVIDIA to release the damn firmwares for GPU reclocking, (as it's kinda pointless trying to run compute loads without reclocking) or if this is still a personal project of the people involved, which also happen to work for RedHat on other things.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Because if it is, then there is some chances that RedHat convinces (pays) NVIDIA to release the damn firmwares for GPU reclocking, (as it's kinda pointless trying to run compute loads without reclocking) or if this is still a personal project of the people involved, which also happen to work for RedHat on other things.
      Yes it's been indicated that this is being worked on within Red Hat capacity. But as far as any re-clocking/firmware changes they haven't commented publicly.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I like the progress, but Noveau has still a loong way to go. The ideal situation would be to get competative open source drivers for nVidia as well, but I suspect GPU prices will stabalize before that and those that want good open source drivers will just buy AMD before nVidia's drivers improve.

Comment

Well, what do you expect from a company named after one of the cardinal vices… Funnily enough they're named after "envy", but show "jealousy" with their drivers and firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
            I like the progress, but Noveau has still a loong way to go. The ideal situation would be to get competative open source drivers for nVidia as well, but I suspect GPU prices will stabalize before that and those that want good open source drivers will just buy AMD before nVidia's drivers improve.
            Unless some external force convinces NVIDIA to releases firmware for their newer GPUs, Noveau will never be anything more than a plain display driver (i.e. no gaming no computing no hardware acceleration for media decoding)

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
              The reason we have competitive performance from the AMD and intel open source graphics drivers, is because AMD and intel are supporting those projects and enabling it. NVidia on the other hand, is doing no such thing for nouveau. This the reason behind Mr. Torvalds famous "phrase and hand gesture". The fact is, we will never see competitive performance out of nouveau until NVidia decides to allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

That's how redhat works. They pay their programmers to work on their personal projects. Any redhat developer can work on any project he wants to. They are just really good at hiring developers that want to work on the same projects they want to work on.

Comment

Working...
                X