A Valve Linux Developer Managed Another Small Performance Optimization For RADV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    I've got a t440p on my desk at work (haswell quad-core, 16GB ram, 14" 1080p, 480-500GB SSD), and an AMD-based equivalent at home would be just splendid, especially if they can share docking stations, chargers, etc.
    A485 should have all of these. Using T430s currently, couldn't be more happy. Intel an a little bit old, but still rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

You forgot horrible keyboards. Lenovo managed to make bad keyboards as of late (layout, F-keys being multimedia keys, tiny cursor keys, no print screen (SysRq) and so on). Or just bad haptic feeling, though I guess Lenovo is still better at that than most others.
      Matter of taste I presume. I really like Lenovos keyboards, and as a developer can't live without PgU/D next to the arrow keys. Great for reading. There is print screen, between right Alt and Ctrl. Fkeys is a minor inconvenience, I agree. Ditching hardware speaker mute, volume +/-, and microphone mute is a wrong move to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        You forgot horrible keyboards. Lenovo managed to make bad keyboards as of late (layout, F-keys being multimedia keys, tiny cursor keys, no print screen (SysRq) and so on). Or just bad haptic feeling, though I guess Lenovo is still better at that than most others.
        On my lenovo 310 (amd APU) you can swap the F-keys and multimedia keys in the UEFI settings, so that by default when you press F1 it does F1 and not "sleep" or whatever is its secondary function.

Can confirm the haptic feeling isn't great on the 310, but then again it's fine for a 500-ish laptop anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Mesa is for 3D acceleration. ddx is for 2D acceleration, drm drivers are hardware support. Are we done with making apple with orange comparisons?
          Strictly speaking Mesa is for OpenGL acceleration and can optionally be used for other things (we put our video encode/decode drivers there for example), primarily when those "other things" share lower level driver bits.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Strictly speaking Mesa is for OpenGL acceleration and can optionally be used for other things (we put our video encode/decode drivers there for example), primarily when those "other things" share lower level driver bits.
            Sounds like the right place for Vulkan to me.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Mesa is for 3D acceleration. ddx is for 2D acceleration, drm drivers are hardware support. Are we done with making apple with orange comparisons?
              Mesa is not for 3D acceleration, what about VDPAU, OpenMAX and all that stuff? is it 3D acceleration? What about using Mesa for 2D stuff in OpenGL?
              And even if it was, so what?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                I wonder ... wouldn't it make more sense to improve AMDVLK instead of porting the goodies of AMDVLK to RADV and essentially create two equal-good vulkan implementations for AMD GPUs?
                No because amdvlk is not a community project. It was made by AMD for AMD to develop. It's source doesn't even have any git or any kind of repository management.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  I wonder ... wouldn't it make more sense to improve AMDVLK instead of porting the goodies of AMDVLK to RADV and essentially create two equal-good vulkan implementations for AMD GPUs?
                  Until AMD discontinues their code dump method, it's going to get backlash. That's a very unfriendly thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Yes, please. I need a new laptop, and a 14" Ryzen APU thinkpad would be perfect.

Just don't gimp it with single-channel memory, spinning drive, crappy screen, or small battery.
                    Good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Until AMD discontinues their code dump method, it's going to get backlash. That's a very unfriendly thing to do.
                      Yep, I totally agree. Back in 2007 when AMD really committed to open source the only reason they could was because of community based projects. I just don't get them, their own early involvement happened because they were able to make themselves part of the community. They know how important collaboration is yet when they get a chance to break free from pre-existing dogma they choose a distribution model that makes collaboration really hard. WTF.

Comment

Working...
                      X