A Valve Linux Developer Managed Another Small Performance Optimization For RADV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post

Not to mention AMDVLK lives outside Mesa, but we all love Mesa, so AMDVLK is a no-go.
    Why does it matter that it's not part of Mesa?
    The various ddx are not part of Mesa, nor are the drm drivers, or libdrm, and yet you use all of them without any issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      Can you elaborate? I haven't noticed such an issue with Polaris. All textures are flickering?
      Some textures. Made a quick screen-cast. Sorry for the low quality though. Happened to have OBS set to 720p, but the issue is clearly visible. Also, performance is really bad now for some reason. I used to get close to a hundred FPS average, which I still do if I switch to OpenGL, but Vulkan has dropped to about half.

Comment

Did somebody try RADV with AMDVLK-LLVM branch?

Comment

I am happy to see that Valve invests in the free driver stack. Even with their own misleading numbers about market shares an the likes. I don't know when exactly the Chinese market part was added to the statistics, but this messed up a lot (hardware and software; licensing is kinda "relaxed" there, and there are also internet cafes with massive user counts that could falsify those numbers, and then add the usual "survery hardly ever showing up on Linux vs. showing up ever 2nd start on W32" and you know what these numbers are worth).

But still, here people are and doing the right thing(TM).

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

That's how amdvlk looks with Wine+dxvk and the Witcher 3 (but it works OK with radv):

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Some textures. Made a quick screen-cast. Sorry for the low quality though. Happened to have OBS set to 720p, but the issue is clearly visible. Also, performance is really bad now for some reason. I used to get close to a hundred FPS average, which I still do if I switch to OpenGL, but Vulkan has dropped to about half.

https://youtu.be/FFIW2MA4xGg
              I don't have this with Polaris.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Why does it matter that it's not part of Mesa?
                The various ddx are not part of Mesa, nor are the drm drivers, or libdrm, and yet you use all of them without any issue.
                Mesa is for 3D acceleration. ddx is for 2D acceleration, drm drivers are hardware support. Are we done with making apple with orange comparisons?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  I wonder ... wouldn't it make more sense to improve AMDVLK instead of porting the goodies of AMDVLK to RADV and essentially create two equal-good vulkan implementations for AMD GPUs?
                  amdvlk runs the big games (and even has "profiles" for games), but otherwise it does not work well. As mentioned, it fails with dxvk. Now SteamVR's vrcompositor itself runs on it, but if you start any steamvr client application, it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    I am personally waiting for Ryzen Thinkpad A485 coming in next couple of months.
                    Yes, please. I need a new laptop, and a 14" Ryzen APU thinkpad would be perfect.

Just don't gimp it with single-channel memory, spinning drive, crappy screen, or small battery. The 13" Ideapad 720s looked almost good enough to buy until I got to the single-channel memory part of its specs.

I've got a t440p on my desk at work (haswell quad-core, 16GB ram, 14" 1080p, 480-500GB SSD), and an AMD-based equivalent at home would be just splendid, especially if they can share docking stations, chargers, etc.

Edit: A little research shows me that the A485 should arrive in Q3. I can probably stretch my (dual-booted) 2009 13" Macbook just a little longer, as long as an end-goal is in sight.
                    Last edited by Veerappan; 23 March 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                      ... Ryzen APU notebooks ...

Just don't gimp it with single-channel memory, spinning drive, crappy screen, or small battery. The 13" Ideapad 720s looked almost good enough to buy until I got to the single-channel memory part of its specs.
                      You forgot horrible keyboards. Lenovo managed to make bad keyboards as of late (layout, F-keys being multimedia keys, tiny cursor keys, no print screen (SysRq) and so on). Or just bad haptic feeling, though I guess Lenovo is still better at that than most others.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X