No announcement yet.

A Valve Linux Developer Managed Another Small Performance Optimization For RADV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Valve Linux Developer Managed Another Small Performance Optimization For RADV

Phoronix: A Valve Linux Developer Managed Another Small Performance Optimization For RADV

The RADV Vulkan driver performance on the latest Mesa Git code is already looking quite good compared to the NVIDIA Vulkan Linux performance and even the Vulkan driver on Radeon Software under Windows. But the game is not over for the never-ending process of tuning the driver for optimal performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder ... wouldn't it make more sense to improve AMDVLK instead of porting the goodies of AMDVLK to RADV and essentially create two equal-good vulkan implementations for AMD GPUs?
    Last edited by Linuxhippy; 23 March 2018, 05:55 AM.

Comment

AMDVLK is not all around better than RADV if I remember correctly. Though I do agree that it would be sensible to have single implementation.

Comment

AMDVLK is not made equal to Radv, the code is periodically dumped, there's no real git history, you can't simply bisect an issue, apart from pointing to which code dump introduced the problem

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          AMDVLK is not made equal to Radv, the code is periodically dumped, there's no real git history, you can't simply bisect an issue, apart from pointing to which code dump introduced the problem
          Not to mention AMDVLK lives outside Mesa, but we all love Mesa, so AMDVLK is a no-go. I am personally waiting for Ryzen Thinkpad A485 coming in next couple of months.

Comment

These Open Source GPU drivers folks are amazing!

Comment

typo: amd avoids -> and avoids

Comment

I now get 113fps instead of 110fps in my static SS: Fusion benchmark scene. Pretty neat for a single change, but well optimized amdvlk/Windows is still a performance beast with quite some advantage.
                I hope it won't take forever until AMD pulls the "performance switch" for open source amdvlk. Though it's amazing how usable and fast radv has become.

Comment

Still having flickering textures in SS Fusion on RADV as of Mesa 17.3.7 on my Fury. Not sure if game or drivers are to blame but this prevents me from using Vulkan in this game.

Comment

Can you elaborate? I haven't noticed such an issue with Polaris. All textures are flickering?

Comment

Working...
                    X