Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 28 Beta Has Been Delayed

Phoronix: Fedora 28 Beta Has Been Delayed

It's time for the Fedora 28 release dance and to place your bets if F28 will be released on time or is another Fedora release challenged by release delays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora28 wont be released at all, thats why there working on Fedora29 now incase of more slippage

Comment

It's time for the Fedora 28 release dance and to place your bets if F28 will be released on time or is another Fedora release challenged by release delays.
      What kind of stupid question is that... of course F28 won't be released on time. To do so would go against the oldest traditions of the Fedora project...

Comment

They should add that gnome memory leak to the blocker bugs

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
          They should add that gnome memory leak to the blocker bugs
          Considering this has been an issue since like gnome 3.6, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

I know this seems to be like shouting into the void, but I'll repeat: nothing has been "delayed" and we're not having particular "challenges" with this release. Fedora integrates tens of thousands of packages with hundreds of thousands (millions?) of changes every release. In order to make this work smoothly twice a year, we use a hybrid model: not a fixed release date (because that would guarantee serious problems every time) and not "when it's perfect" (because then we'd never ship).

This actually works really well. If we did this as a non-transparent closed project, you'd have no complaints. But instead, we do everything in the open, so you get to see the proverbial sausage being made. Now, it's true that we occasionally *do* have troubled releases and some actual delay. But when you report our process in-progress as delay, I don't think you're helping anyone.

With this schedule, we've tried to make this more clear, using "Preferred Target" (the one we weren't quite ready for) and "Target #1" (what we're aiming for now) — and the _rest_ of the schedule is built assuming Target #1 for the beta (hitting this instead of the earlier one does not push back the final release targets). Does that help? We considered calling "Preferred Target" "Early Release Target" instead, but remember this is our actual working schedule, not a marketing document, and we really _do_ prefer sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
              I know this seems to be like shouting into the void...
              Trying to bring any logic into this forum is shouting into the void, especially when the trolls come out.

I, at least, appreciate the effort anyway.

Comment

Fedora integrates tens of thousands of packages with hundreds of thousands (millions?) of changes every release.
                As does every other major distro. And many minor distros.

Comment

I know this seems to be like shouting into the void, but I'll repeat: nothing has been "delayed" and we're not having particular "challenges" with this release.
                  You set the deadline, you miss it. That’s what people call a delay.

P.S. I actually don’t dislike Fedora release engineering style.

Comment

in b4 "they should be like Debian and just release it when it's done instead of having a fixed deadline" posts

Comment

Working...
                    X