Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayfire Is A New Wayland Compositor That Supports Desktop Cube, Expo & Other Plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still use wobbly windows. Wobbly windows are a must-have.

Comment

Well, a cube is great... but this was awesome!
      Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Nah, people are screaming "MIR" so I don't think they will go with this but with MIR and some compositor for MIR.
        Originally posted by bregma View Post

Man, you really missed the bus on that.
        I think he is referring to what Wimpy said in the past, which is that it might be easier to teach MIR how to speak Wayland (work already in progress by other projects) and then use MIR which already has many tools like session management, screenshot utility, etc... instead of implementing everything from scratch.

However, this doesn't seem like a "clean" solution IMHO. And since libweston aims to be API stable at some point (or changing APIs really really slow) so that other projects can be based on it without much maintenance effort, then projects like Wayfire seem like the best solution IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
          Hmmm an independent wayland compositor built on libweston... Maybe that's the perfect opportunity for MATE and Xfce to base their future wayland session on this, and maybe even work together on creating some common apps like screenshot utility or whatever need specific compositor's APIs in order to work with Wayland. I don't know, just an opinion...
          I'm the author of Wayfire, and actually this is my goal To provide some common ground to implement lightweight DEs (as opposed to Gnome/KDE) and being able to share most of the code, as wlroots/libweston seem quite low-level for creating a simple compositor (IMHO)

Comment

Hmmm an independent wayland compositor built on libweston... Maybe that's the perfect opportunity for MATE and Xfce to base their future wayland session on this, and maybe even work together on creating some common apps like screenshot utility or whatever need specific compositor's APIs in order to work with Wayland. I don't know, just an opinion...
            I'm the author of wayfire, and this is actually my goal I want to implement a lightweight DE(s) with reusable components, as I currently think libweston/wlroots is quite low-level if you just want to do something simple. Sadly there's still a lot of work towards common DE protocols for wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by IliaB View Post

I'm the author of Wayfire, and actually this is my goal To provide some common ground to implement lightweight DEs (as opposed to Gnome/KDE) and being able to share most of the code, as wlroots/libweston seem quite low-level for creating a simple compositor (IMHO)
              That is GREAT!! keep up the good work!
              I would love for XFCE to run on something like this. While I am not that into the 3d eyecandy I have to admit that the 3d cube is VERY practical as is is easy to keep track of what is where. I also really miss the Expo function which I sadly have to admit that even Win10 have gotten right. The last thing I miss from a productivity point of view is that with compiz it was possible to desaturate + lower the brightness of all, but the active window. That was VERY useful if you have tons of windows up at the same time.

So again , not into the 3d eyecandy just for fun , but when it serves a functional purpose I am all for it!

Wish you luck, and hope to see this in Debian for the next release cycle (or even in buster if you can make it!)

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I think a MATE session based on this would ultimately be one hell of a big deal: like GNOME 2 on compiz at its best, but in Wayland instead of X. Run the desktop icons in an Xwayland window (that can be done now), splitting the code out of Caja so navigation windows can be native Wayland windows. Alternately write a brand-new Wayland canvas, though GNOME thinks that is a major, major job. I think a new plugin would be needed to connect the windows to the panel taskbar/window list, unless something to implement that has been included in the core. Get the "X-isms" out of the panel code, and convert all tray icons to indicators so Xembed can be avoided.

It could take years to get all the bugs out of this, but X should be around more than long enough to cover that time. As long as a good Wayland/MATE session with the plugins so many of us love from compiz is reliable by the time distros start dropping X, the road forward is now open.

Comment

Post unapproved again: This would be one heck of a mate-session. Need a way to connect windows to panel, and either a new canvas for the desktop icons or run that (and only that) in Xwayland. Get the X-specific code out of all else, use indicators only for the tray applets. Bugs need to be out by the time distros start dropping X

Comment

I think he is referring to what Wimpy said in the past, which is that it might be easier to teach MIR how to speak Wayland (work already in progress by other projects) and then use MIR which already has many tools like session management, screenshot utility, etc... instead of implementing everything from scratch.
                    Yes, thank you! That's what I meant

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

KDE also supports wobbly windows.
                      /me waves from the land of neon

Comment

Working...
                      X