Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayfire Is A New Wayland Compositor That Supports Desktop Cube, Expo & Other Plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayfire Is A New Wayland Compositor That Supports Desktop Cube, Expo & Other Plugins

Phoronix: Wayfire Is A New Wayland Compositor That Supports Desktop Cube, Expo & Other Plugins

Wayfire is a new independent Wayland compositor project built atop libweston. Wayfire supports compositor plug-ins to offer a desktop cube and more, so you can relive the old days when having a spinning desktop cube was all the rage in the early days of Compiz/Beryl...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm an independent wayland compositor built on libweston... Maybe that's the perfect opportunity for MATE and Xfce to base their future wayland session on this, and maybe even work together on creating some common apps like screenshot utility or whatever need specific compositor's APIs in order to work with Wayland. I don't know, just an opinion...

Comment

Looks promising. Not interested in 3D effects anymore, but looking forward to some independent compositor when Wayland will be on par with X11 for everyday use. I'm currently on Qtile+Compton.

Comment

The cube is back! Even at the time I never understood who the hell would want to use a cube as a desktop...

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          The cube is back! Even at the time I never understood who the hell would want to use a cube as a desktop...
          Wobbly windows though, they are still awesome

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            That is animation for when you change from one virtual desktop to another. Since not everybody uses virtual desktops, is not a thing you see everyday.

KDE's Kwin still offer the cube animation as a option for virtual desktop changes.

Comment

Yet another C/C++ implementation based on libweston... I'd be much more interested in a Rust, Go or Swift based Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Wobbly windows though, they are still awesome
                KDE also supports wobbly windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
                  Hmmm an independent wayland compositor built on libweston... Maybe that's the perfect opportunity for MATE and Xfce to base their future wayland session on this, and maybe even work together on creating some common apps like screenshot utility or whatever need specific compositor's APIs in order to work with Wayland. I don't know, just an opinion...
                  Nah, people are screaming "MIR" so I don't think they will go with this but with MIR and some compositor for MIR.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Nah, people are screaming "MIR" so I don't think they will go with this but with MIR and some compositor for MIR.
                    Man, you really missed the bus on that.

Comment

Working...
                    X