Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 2.12 Release Candidates Begin, GTK2 Support Deprecated

Phoronix: QEMU 2.12 Release Candidates Begin, GTK2 Support Deprecated

The first release candidate of QEMU 2.12 is now available as the next feature release for this important piece of the Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This biggest problem I have is that they are considering removing DragonFlyBSD support. Also, not that I should complain, but QEMU emulates tons of hardware boards which just do not work at all. So yeah, I don't mind that they clean-up many of their undocumented, not working hardware emulation. But DragonFlyBSD isn't fringe, or on the downward slope. It's pretty much the future of the BSDs. It scales much better than FreeBSD, and HAMMER2 is going to be the bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      It scales much better than FreeBSD, and HAMMER2 is going to be the bomb.
      And now could we also have the one about Show White, please? ;-)

Comment

This biggest problem I have is that they are considering removing DragonFlyBSD support. Also, not that I should complain, but QEMU emulates tons of hardware boards which just do not work at all. So yeah, I don't mind that they clean-up many of their undocumented, not working hardware emulation. But DragonFlyBSD isn't fringe, or on the downward slope. It's pretty much the future of the BSDs. It scales much better than FreeBSD, and HAMMER2 is going to be the bomb.
        you could step forward, and take care of the port's portion of the code, … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIm2pMXS5Q4

Comment

This biggest problem I have is that they are considering removing DragonFlyBSD support.
          I think the support is just the preconfigured hw template, so they are missing people to test DragonFly on which configuration it works. You could help on that to keep it in the list.

"QEMU 2.12 is also working on allowing host NVMe controllers to be directly driven via QEMU with VFIO."
          So what does this actually do? I've been using NVMe drives for quests via standard VFIO PCIe passthrough for ages, working fine

Comment

The VirtGL virtual gpu hardware is a bomb and is what i am personaly interested in, and happy to use, I hope they develope it further.

Comment

Qemu is really only an emulator for running Linux. I.e Even its DOS emulation is poor and buggy when using extenders such as Desqview or DPMI.
              And if DOS support in Qemu has been dropped because it is too old... then what really is the point of Qemu? To emulate old (but not that old) operating systems?

The qemu-user-static stuff is fantastic though. It allows me to make a FreeBSD ARM or AARCH64 Jail on an amd64 host. It then runs very fast because only the userland software need to be emulated rather than the entire kernel.
              But yeah, Sparc64, PowerPC64 targets are too broken to use for that.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Qemu is really only an emulator for running Linux. I.e Even its DOS emulation is poor and buggy when using extenders such as Desqview or DPMI.
                And if DOS support in Qemu has been dropped because it is too old... then what really is the point of Qemu? To emulate old (but not that old) operating systems?

The qemu-user-static stuff is fantastic though. It allows me to make a FreeBSD ARM or AARCH64 Jail on an amd64 host. It then runs very fast because only the userland software need to be emulated rather than the entire kernel.
                But yeah, Sparc64, PowerPC64 targets are too broken to use for that.
                I do not agree. I have been runing Windows XP/7 just fine for some accounting software that we need at work. Everyone (that has rights) can connect trough SPICE cleint and use it. It is emulated on old Celeron J1900 (buggy baytrail) and is FAST! (as they say). At home i have been testing with windows 10 (which atm comes free for virtual machines) and is working nice (aside lack of graphics - which atm is not so important)
                For dor you have much better option - Dosbox which is pretty much a standart now. The point of running QEMU to me is - to not run virtualbox.
                Last edited by deant; 21 March 2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                  For dor you have much better option - Dosbox which is pretty much a standart now. The point of running QEMU to me is - to not run virtualbox.
                  DOSBox is explicitly and emphatically only intended to support games (ie. If they break support for your favourite non-game, they don't care)... and I seriously doubt that someone who's talking about Desqview is trying to run games.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

DOSBox is explicitly and emphatically only intended to support games (ie. If they break support for your favourite non-game, they don't care)... and I seriously doubt that someone who's talking about Desqview is trying to run games.
                    So they say now you cannot run freedos on QEMU? Or ppl demand to run the original MS-DOS?

Comment

Working...
                    X