No announcement yet.

Reverse-Engineering of ARM Mali "Midgard" Now Has A Working NIR Shader Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse-Engineering of ARM Mali "Midgard" Now Has A Working NIR Shader Compiler

Phoronix: Reverse-Engineering of ARM Mali "Midgard" Now Has A Working NIR Shader Compiler

Earlier this year work on the "Chai" open-source Mali T700 GPU driver resumed with an aim to get a working Mesa driver for this "Midgard" graphics architecture. There's still a long battle ahead, but their NIR shader compiler is beginning to work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, any progress for Mali is welcome. These are really common chips.
    Does anyone know if there's a public "todo list" for Mali?

Comment

/me would donate a T628 mali... (XU4).
      I really love the XU4, but with bionic and a chromium simple chromium webgl test it sends me in a spontaneous reboot.
      Would be nice to drop the proprietary driver and start with a fixable driver.

Comment

Whats the target for this? I know Mali is the Arm GPU design can we expect a raft of phones to eventually have a mainlined GPU driver?

Comment

From the blog post:
          Originally posted by Alyssa Rosenzweig
          the project name has been properly changed to Panfrost
          I like Panfrost better. Was wondering why Chai doesn't spell Midgard backwards (like lima/mali, etnaviv/vivante) or anything. Btw, Bifrost and Midgard are from Norse mythology, while Pan is greek.

Comment

Her blog has a bad link to the Midgard ISA doc. It should be:

Comment

Originally posted by stevecrox View Post
              Whats the target for this? I know Mali is the Arm GPU design can we expect a raft of phones to eventually have a mainlined GPU driver?
              Mali GPUs make their way into all kinds of places - from phones & tablets to Raspberry Pi clones, Chromebooks, in-car entertainment consoles, smart watches, and maybe even future ARM-based desktop PCs.

Comment

Wow, Liberapay sux. I would make a one-time donation, but no way am I going to subscribe.

Comment

Working...
                X