Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17 Spring Cleaning To Drop Some Old CPU Architectures

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 Spring Cleaning To Drop Some Old CPU Architectures

Longtime Linux kernel developer Arnd Bergmann is working to drop a number of old and obsolete CPU architectures from the next kernel cycle, Linux 4.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

with its port maintainer cleamining it's still actively being used and maintained.

Comment

It is great decision. i have always been fan of cleanng and optimising. I hope we can get smaller footprint and smaller/faster kernel.

Comment

Aww, I still have a Blackfin board with some analogue phone ports I could potentially use. Not had the time though.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
          It is great decision. i have always been fan of cleanng and optimising. I hope we can get smaller footprint and smaller/faster kernel.
          The Linux kernel is modular so it does not really matter for the end user..

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
            Cleaning is good, this should remive a lot if unneeded code from the kernel sources. However i dont see a big impact on kernel size nor speed. Stuff not compiled in wont impact the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

The Linux kernel is modular so it does not really matter for the end user..
              It matters for distros like Ubuntu that ship with every driver known to mankind and every default boot flag.

Comment

Hmmmm.....I thought Qualcomm's Hexagon was still a integral part of their SoC ? Or is this a stand alone version that has now been integrated on die with current Qualcomm's SoCs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It matters for distros like Ubuntu that ship with every driver known to mankind and every default boot flag.
                  The code being removed is specific to the architectures mentioned in the article. It's never compiled into any Ubuntu kernels as Ubuntu doesn't support any of these architectures.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    Aww, I still have a Blackfin board with some analogue phone ports I could potentially use. Not had the time though.
                    Ditto. IP04-series hardware?

Comment

Working...
                    X