Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is good news, 4.15 contains the radeon patches

Comment

Would amdgpu_dc be active for Polaris though (having read here that you had to set it manually in the early days of 4.15) ?

Comment

Hmmm... Won't 4.15 become an LTS release if Canonical is supporting it? It would be odd if they didn't make all of their 4.15 work available in the standard linux-stable git repo.

But then again, this is Canonical, so not that odd. However, here's to hoping.

Comment

It's not that important which kernel they choose. Don't forget they'll update it with HWE stacks, so nearly noone will stay on old kernel for years.

Comment

I hope for 4.16 because it has important improvements in HDD IO reading progress. Too much relevant to omit this kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
              Hmmm... Won't 4.15 become an LTS release if Canonical is supporting it? It would be odd if they didn't make all of their 4.15 work available in the standard linux-stable git repo.
              Maybe someone can contact them and ask if they are willing to officially support 4.15? Somehow I doubt Canonical is interested in doing so but I hope I am proven wrong.
              In any case, It will need to get GHK's approval to appear here https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Comment

With the feature freeze coming in just a week or so then this makes sense. Though it's too bad if they're going for a non-LTS kernel then 4.16 would be better. There just isn't time.

Anyway, the mainline kernel deb's can be used if you want a newer kernel. I'm running kernel 4.15.4 on Ubuntu 16.04 right now.

Comment

Any problem using 4.14 linux with Ubuntu 18.04?

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                    Any problem using 4.14 linux with Ubuntu 18.04?
                    Nothing is stopping anyone from installing it from the mainline kernel PPA and then selecting it at boot time, if you really wanted to use 4.14 LTS over 4.15+.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                      With the feature freeze coming in just a week or so then this makes sense. Though it's too bad if they're going for a non-LTS kernel then 4.16 would be better. There just isn't time.
                      Strictly, the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver is set for April 12th, which is only about two weeks before the scheduled release date for Ubuntu 18.04. But yep, in practice, the devs like to test on the anticipated kernel version for a bit longer.

Still, I hope maybe the devs will manage to release with 4.16. I'm looking forward to local Intel vGPU display support in 4.16. But being forgetful (and lazy), I want to receive automatic updates, and so would prefer not to deal with mainline.

Comment

Working...
                      X