Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Pushes Out Sailfish OS 2.1.4 Into Early Access

Phoronix: Jolla Pushes Out Sailfish OS 2.1.4 Into Early Access

For those still interested in Jolla's Linux-based but locked down Sailfish mobile operating system, the Sailfish OS 2.1.4 release is now available to early access users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What an exciting shiny new update that is 100% useless to me.

Since they have not been honorable and delivered on their open source promise I hope their company bursts into flames and ceases to exist.

May KDE & UBports bury them with shame and outdo them in evert way possible.

Comment

Are there any budget smartphones that will allow me to install Sailfish OS as a holdover for when Purism releases Librem 5 by early 2019?

I downgraded my Android smartphone from Oreo to Nougat because night mode is exclusive to Pixel smartphones and I do not like the new quick settings in Oreo. Plus, I get double notification sound from Twitter in Oreo versus one in Nougat. As for night mode, I tried Twilight that changes the color temperature of the screen but it does not overlay the notification/quick settings tray, making them white which blinded my eyes, so I quit using my smartphone during night time. But once I downgrade to Nougat and installed Twilight, Twilight overlays the entire screen except for navigation keys which do not blind my eyes that much as I focus on the screen.

Really, I want all the features that are exclusive to Pixel to be in Nexus, but as I want control over my smartphone and tinker what's in it, I'll be waiting for Librem 5 which I can have GNOME in my smartphone I want freedom and whatever changes Google makes to Android that I'm not satisfied, I could care less about buying new smartphone that would come with Android 9.0 or later, as I'd rather be stuck with Nougat as I want it the way it is for my quick settings and being able to use Twilight.

Anyway, does Sailfish have a night mode feature similar to GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Not as far as I'm aware of... Don't think any smartphones except iPhones and the Pixel phones have it. As for devices with SailfishOS ports here's a bunch of community supported devices, but officially only the single sim variant of the Xperia X, a midrange device, is officially supported by the developers. They did recently announce ports for the dual SIM variant of it and the Xperia X Compact are coming along with a port for a yet-to-be-announced higher end device.

As for all the fluster about the librem phone, I'll believe they can get it done when they can show a working device. Until then let's keep hype over what could very well just be a vaporware device away from devices you can actually buy and use today.

Comment

Hi,

Unofficial ports are available on following devices:

Unofficial ports will NOT include Android support (aliendalvik), but there are some anbox based projects in alpha stages to get android apps to run.

I think you will find best support for OnePlus, Xiaomi, Nexus or Sony Xperia X devices. Keep in mind that OnePlus is preloaded with spyware with stock roms.

Also, I have NOT attempted to install any unofficial port, so I cannot advise whether it is difficult or easy to do or how broken the whole thing is. I have used Jolla1 for ~6 years as my daily phone, now I'm back on Android LineageOS and Xiaomi MI5s

With regards to night mode- Sailfish has ambiances, which can turn the whole phone light or dark. It's mostly darkish by default, I mean colour scheme is mostly white on black.

--Coder

Are there any budget smartphones that will allow me to install Sailfish OS as a holdover for when Purism releases Librem 5 by early 2019?

Comment

I downgraded my Android smartphone from Oreo to Nougat because night mode is exclusive to Pixel smartphones and I do not like the new quick settings in Oreo. Plus, I get double notification sound from Twitter in Oreo versus one in Nougat. As for night mode, I tried Twilight that changes the color temperature of the screen but it does not overlay the notification/quick settings tray, making them white which blinded my eyes, so I quit using my smartphone during night time. But once I downgrade to Nougat and installed Twilight, Twilight overlays the entire screen except for navigation keys which do not blind my eyes that much as I focus on the screen.
            The Fairphone 2's (Android 6 with monthly security updates + LineageOS officially available) integrated Night Mode even overlays the navigation bar (but can't modify color temperature). In F-Droid there's the Red Moon app which may be worth a try regarding overlaying the notification area.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              What an exciting shiny new update that is 100% useless to me.

Since they have not been honorable and delivered on their open source promise I hope their company bursts into flames and ceases to exist.

May KDE & UBports bury them with shame and outdo them in evert way possible.
              at this moment kde plasma can't even open the camera app, and ubports are working really really slow (much more than jolla)...yep i can really see them burning sailfish...sure...

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                I have used Jolla1 for ~6 years as my daily phone, now I'm back on Android LineageOS and Xiaomi MI5s
                Oh you had an pre-release phone coder?
                Late 2013 is when i bought mine the JP-1301 (i read the model like Jolla Phone, year (20)13, model 01).
                Or did you suffer of the technology years where times goes faster, it happens to me every now an then and i need to double check.

Comment

I have night mode on my huawei p9 android 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
                    The Fairphone 2's (Android 6 with monthly security updates + LineageOS officially available) integrated Night Mode even overlays the navigation bar (but can't modify color temperature). In F-Droid there's the Red Moon app which may be worth a try regarding overlaying the notification area.
                    Fairphone is exclusive to Europe and I'm in the US. However, a smartphone with a removable battery is very important to me. Plus, a Fairphone that is open and ethical is also a bonus to me if only I were in Europe (Netherlands is my favorite country for the biking/transportation infrastructure). The only downside is a 5" screen, which I'm used to a 5.7" 16:9 display.

And I'd hope the Librem5 would not become a vaporware, as I am going to keep an eye in them, especially in Twitter and around the Internet.

Xperia X at less than $300 in Amazon is small at 5", as I want more real-estate for reading web pages (Firefox) and viewing restaurant menus using the camera.

Anyway, thanks guys. I will keep my Nexus 6P and stay with Nougat for the time being until 2019. I hope my battery in my smartphone can last for a while given the tweets about battery problems. I once had my smartphone shutdown while waiting for Uber driver to take me back to the campus a couple of months ago and it left me stranded, so I have a battery pack to keep my smartphone alive.

Anyway, it's not my place to go off-topic.

Comment

Working...
                    X