VESA X.Org Driver Sees First Update In Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

With CPUs getting so fast, the lack of acceleration may be less of a problem than it was in the past.
    I kind of doubt that when everything becomes slower with each new year. The toolkits might be especially ill suited for that kind of graphics stacks. For instance LTSP used to be usable, but it's no more. A bit different use case, but shows how tech has changed.

Comment

There used to be dozens of video card makers, and many of the drivers were written by volunteers, for use on Linux, which made things unreliable and tricky, so VESA was a nice fallback to have. Now there are 3 video card makers with all making Linux drivers, so things are less dicey than they used to be. Its still good to have VESA for older computers

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
        There used to be dozens of video card makers, and many of the drivers were written by volunteers, for use on Linux, which made things unreliable and tricky, so VESA was a nice fallback to have. Now there are 3 video card makers with all making Linux drivers, so things are less dicey than they used to be. Its still good to have VESA for older computers
        4. Intel, AMD, nVidia and VIA. I know VIA is a smaller player, but there are laptops and desktops with VIA hardware out there, esp. in some Asian countries but also in a couple of low-budget computers in the Western part of the world (I used to have one 10 years ago - it was my first laptop, a Packard Bell, with VIA hardware, my parents bought it for me in a regular electronics store here in the West).

Comment

Working...
        X