Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Adds Draco Geometry Compression To glTF 2.0

Phoronix: Khronos Adds Draco Geometry Compression To glTF 2.0

Khronos' glTF transmission format for 3D scenes and models continues getting better. This 3D format has seen adoption by countless applications and engines and even usage within Microsoft products. Khronos' latest advancement to glTF 2.0 is a compression extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    up to a 12x compression levle without any change

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo:
      He's not had his covfefe yet

Comment

I'm curious for why Draco is using cmake instead of meson, though being a Google's project.

Comment

Most likely because meson did not exist at the time Draco was started. And just because some Gnome guy clones something cool that KDE is using so they remain as incompatible as possible it doesn't mean that everybody should switch to that clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
            Most likely because meson did not exist at the time Draco was started. And just because some Gnome guy clones something cool that KDE is using so they remain as incompatible as possible it doesn't mean that everybody should switch to that clone.
            Draco started in 2016y, whereas meson in 2011. Your remark about Gnome and KDE I don't understand at all.

Comment

You do realize you linked to a post about Ninja? Ninja is the backend used by by meson (and optionaly by cmake as well). Indeed, all the praises you see for meson are for the backend and how it's faster than make. But cmake can also use ninja as a backend (-G ninja), so meson doesn't really have any benefit over cmake.

Technicaly speaking meson was indeed started in 2013, but it only became partially usable in 2017 so it was not an option in 2016.

As for the Gnome and KDE stuff, KDE uses cmake since 2006. meson was started as an incompatible clone of cmake by a Gnome dev just because the gnomes don't want to use anything KDE already does.

Comment

Why Draco is using cmake instead of meson though a Google project. well, I was facing the problem with some Microsoft related services than I go to the link https://www.ticketgateway.com/profil...stomer-Support and get the solution of my problem related to Microsoft and technical support.

Comment

Working...
                X