Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Might Begin Having A Release Manager

Phoronix: Fedora Might Begin Having A Release Manager

Fedora developers are now discussing the possibility of naming a release manager each development cycle as a person in charge of wrangling together each release and seeing that the "Rawhide" development state is kept in better condition. Who knows, this also might actually help Fedora's longtime trouble of delivering releases on time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Captain Obvious called....

Comment

"Hey, we're embarrassed being late and delayed every time, let's find someone we can point our fingers at!"

Comment

Is Fedora being late really a problem? Is there some downside to them slipping a couple of months each release?

sounds like something an MBA or CFO would worry about...

Comment

Why would anyone on production would worry about late releases? I think it's better to release once everything has been tested.. But this is good move from Fedora team to streamline releases as they want.

Comment

It would be exceedingly bad if the only reason to assign a release manager is to force on time releases!!! That is CEO stupifity and as such we can see what happens at Apple or Microsoft when they do this. In a nut shell really crappy software gets releaseed to be corrected later. This especially in the case of fedora as recent delays have been due to singular bugs where a week or two delay solves real issues.

On the other hand RawHide is a mess. For a bleeding edge distro they are woefully behind the times when it comes to supporting new hardware. I dont expect every nightly to be perfect either but it isnt a lot to ask to see a stable release once a week. So maybe the goal is wrong here, instead of constantky broken releases of RawHide maybe the goal should be to only have un broken releases. This includes the RPM repositories so that a DNF update doesnt break existing installations. To be blunt RawHide is a horrible mess of late far worse than it use to be.

An example of a RawHide faikure is a recent update that only bother to update about half of Boost. Why push this out so early when it would be more acceptable to see all of Boost updated at once. If that also means updating dependencies the do it. The problem is this stuff remains broken for weeks so it leaves many developers wondering about the wisdom of using Rawhide to be ready for future Fedora releases. I just dont see value in constantly broken nightly releases.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              "Hey, we're embarrassed being late and delayed every time, let's find someone we can point our fingers at!"
              Fedora having a Release Manager? is this some kinda JOKE. cause this is funny

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                did you read article? being late is your fantasy, article says about
                they haven't had a successful nightly compose of the latest Fedora Rawhide development state in about two weeks

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  did you read article? being late is your fantasy, article says about
                  just read about the Packaging Guidelines, they change that all to fast + everything else. i tend to agree with AdamW on this., funny, that thread has either been deleted or MIA about this proposal

I mean...#fedora-releng ? This is kinda what release engineering *does* - they engineer releases. So if a release is not being engineered optimally, go ask release engineering. I guess I'm just not seeing what all would actually be improved by putting another fancy named position into the loop
                  Last edited by Anvil; 16 February 2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X