Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Servers aren't computers?
    Technically yes, but calling "complete computer" a headless device is a bit misleading.

For $300 you can get an A1100 board with PCIe:
    http://www.lenovator.com/product/103.html#params
    No you can't. That's the Lemaker Cello, which were shipped like years later (scheduled ship time is in Q2 of 2016), and are out of stock because they are out of production already.

The primary reason I brought that device up was because I couldn't find a place where you could actually buy the $3000 A1100 board. Plenty of photos, plenty of articles pointing out its release, but nowhere to actually get it.
    Because it is a devboard. You are supposed to call up an AMD sales representative to get them.

Devboards (real devboards, not toy tinkerboards like raspberry and friends) are targeted at companies that buy the devboard to develop a firmware and then will buy the SoC in bulk to produce thousands of devices using it.

Which is also why they are so expensive, they are not mass-produced (well, yeah, they are using a very short production run though), unlike cheap tinkerboards like raspi which are mass-produced in high volumes.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 16 February 2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

The primary reason I brought that device up was because I couldn't find a place where you could actually buy the $3000 A1100 board. Plenty of photos, plenty of articles pointing out its release, but nowhere to actually get it. I think you're supposed to order it directly from AMD, but when you check AMD's website, it doesn't have any direct information about it. Instead, you're directed here:
      https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/s...ww.amd.com_arm
      It never was on direct sale. You had to take part on amd development program to get one.

Visit AMD at the 2014 Open Compute Summit and get a sneak peak at the AMD Opteron™ A-Series processor

Comment

Working...
      X