NVIDIA Preparing Upstream Linux Kernel Support For The Tegra Xavier SoC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Not going to be the case when they contain tensor cores and are targeted toward the automotive industry. Take a look at the price of Volta GPUs vs other Quadros. Even the Titan V has a hefty price tag.

Also, the Jetson TX2 sells for $560 right now. Though it's one of the most powerful ARM platforms, it's certainly not cheap.
    Uhm amd a1100 devkit costs $2999, qualcomm 835 devboard $1150 or some intel stratix 10 SX devcard $8000. Compared to those, $560 is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post
      (It IS self-hosted, right?)
      Afaik no. There is no way in hell that you can run voice recognition and anything remotely resembling AI on a raspi or embedded device like the trinket they are selling as "standalone" system.

All installation procedures require to sign up with an account and require an internet connection.

If you want an actually opensource server component (not just an opensource client), you should look for Lucida http://lucida.ai/ (which is the next iteration of Sirius).

Comment

Would be better if they move to Linux kernel their Geforce driver.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          Uhm amd a1100 devkit costs $2999, qualcomm 835 devboard $1150 or some intel stratix 10 SX devcard $8000. Compared to those, $560 is cheap.
          Getting an A1100 platform doesn't [have to] cost that much. You can get a complete computer, with a chassis, memory, and storage, for $600:

I'm sure this Xavier board is going to cost far over the price of the Snapdragon 835 board.
          The Stratix 10 SX is not an ARM board (it's a FPGA), nor is it an independent developer board (it's a developer PCIe card).
          Also, I know $560 is cheap in comparison to these, but the Jetson TX2 also isn't an industry-grade developer platform. Xavier likely will be, and as a result, I'm sure it will cost a minimum of $3000.

Comment

Getting an A1100 platform doesn't [have to] cost that much. You can get a complete computer, with a chassis, memory, and storage, for $600:
            https://shop.softiron.com/product/overdrive-1000/
            *server

It has no PCIe, nor integrated graphics.

Comment

What is this, more NVidia hardware nobody buys!

i can understand products targetting developers being expensive. The problem is the almost complete lack of reasonably priced third party boards. That is boards designed to go into end user products like we see in the X 86 world. Combine this with NVidia hostile approach to open source and you have to wonder why anybody would bother.

Comment

Yet when compared to a Raspberry PI, an Odroid or similar boards it is very expensive. Same csn be said when compared to many of the X86 boards offering similar features.

Now i realize that the targetted market here is developers. The problem is where are the comparable low cost boards targetted at end users. You can claim better features but low cost boards with AI hardware are not far off and in some cases have been announced. I just dont see the point in NVidias business model.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Now i realize that the targetted market here is developers. The problem is where are the comparable low cost boards targetted at end users.
                  They are not targeted at end users, plain and simple.

Who the fuck is doing machine learning or AI research in his basement? We are not living in a movie.

You can claim better features but low cost boards with AI hardware are not far off
                  Yes please, tell me more about boards that can compete with it while costing much less.

Comment

I'm sure this Xavier board is going to cost far over the price of the Snapdragon 835 board.
                    The Stratix 10 SX is not an ARM board (it's a FPGA), nor is it an independent developer board (it's a developer PCIe card).
                    Also, I know $560 is cheap in comparison to these, but the Jetson TX2 also isn't an industry-grade developer platform. Xavier likely will be, and as a result, I'm sure it will cost a minimum of $3000.
                    Yes of course not, devplatforms are usually expensive. But I don't think in generally price of tegra dev platform being that expensive compared to the other manufacturers in industry. And if we are starting to compare actual products, you can get fully functional tegra X2 device for $180.

But yeah I agree on that xavier dev platform will cost arm and leg(heck the chip size is bigger than gp104, 350mm²), if there ever even be one as like Jetson and linux for tegra platform. And after all, like you said, it's all about Automotive, I seriously doubt there will be i.e. shield device made by that chip. Too much stuff in it to be wasted in some crappy android gaming console. Which bares down to question, will they release another smaller tegra chip with Volta graphics inside for shield's successor or will they just abandon shield as device. As it ain't very high profitable market in any way for them and making new chip only for shield is very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      *server
                      Servers aren't computers?
                      It has no PCIe, nor integrated graphics.
                      For $300 you can get an A1100 board with PCIe:

(actually, it's kind of an enticing buy, when compared to Jetson boards)

Yes of course not, devplatforms are usually expensive. But I don't think in generally price of tegra dev platform being that expensive compared to the other manufacturers in industry. And if we are starting to compare actual products, you can get fully functional tegra X2 device for $180.
                      The primary reason I brought that device up was because I couldn't find a place where you could actually buy the $3000 A1100 board. Plenty of photos, plenty of articles pointing out its release, but nowhere to actually get it. I think you're supposed to order it directly from AMD, but when you check AMD's website, it doesn't have any direct information about it. Instead, you're directed here:

Comment

Working...
                      X