DXVK Is Making Significant Progress In Implementing Direct3D 11 Over Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
    Vulkan as low level well defined api relative easy to implement by every vendor is becoming the base for other graphics apis! I hope to see a mesa GL implementation on top of vulkan that can be used on every graphics card regardless the vendor to become the standard for the games supporting opengl.
    Add to that that Vulkan should back-ported to all SM5 GPUs like HD5-6 and Fermi, at least for Linux. Also MS with the new SM6 for D3D11-12 wants to transfer everything over LLVM, we should do the same.

Comment

If Virgil 3D were to have Vulkan support, could DXVK be used to provide DirectX support on a Windows VM without GPU passthrough?

Comment

Ok, now I'm excited for this Vulkan driver. After testing out Dolphin and RCPS3 using Vulkan on both my Mint 18 and Windows 10 machine, I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference. On my Mint 18 machine using Dolphin in OpenGL will get me like 43 fps with stutters but Vulkan gets me 60 fps with little stuttering. Tested on the same game. RPCS3 on both Mint 18 and Windows 10 the game Demon Souls was a stuttering mess using OpenGL, but Vulkan smoothed the game out and is playable. My Windows 10 machine has a FX-8350 with RX 480 while my Mint 18 machine has a A10-5800K with a Radeon HD 7850. Both overclocked to 4.4Ghz.

BTW RadeonSi has no Vulkan so you need to switch over to AMDGPU. Fuck RadeonSi, make the switch to AMDGPU like right now. Get that RadV going cause it makes a massive difference, especially with emulation. Vulkan doesn't seem to benefit much with regular games, but with emulators it makes a massive difference. DXVK is going to be a massive playable difference for DX11 games over OpenGL. I just wish R600 graphic cards could get Vulkan too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          BTW RadeonSi has no Vulkan so you need to switch over to AMDGPU. Fuck RadeonSi, make the switch to AMDGPU like right now.
          Where is the page that has FAQs about AMD drivers? I should put a link here. (I don't know that such page exists, but it clearly should.)

Radeonsi is OpenGL driver. RADV is Vulkan driver. Amdgpu and radeon are kernel drivers. Both OpenGL and Vulkan drivers need a kernel driver. Radeonsi can use either radeon or amdgpu. RADV can only use amdgpu. So you probably want to keep radeonsi even if you use amdgpu as your kernel driver (the very least your DE, browser or video player may need it).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Where is the page that has FAQs about AMD drivers? I should put a link here. (I don't know that such page exists, but it clearly should.)

Radeonsi is OpenGL driver. RADV is Vulkan driver. Amdgpu and radeon are kernel drivers. Both OpenGL and Vulkan drivers need a kernel driver. Radeonsi can use either radeon or amdgpu. RADV can only use amdgpu. So you probably want to keep radeonsi even if you use amdgpu as your kernel driver (the very least your DE, browser or video player may need it).
            Ok that's less confusing. So by switching to AMDGPU instead of Radeon, I'm still using the RadeonSi driver when using AMDGPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

It feels like this paragraph needs a nice graphical flow chart to explain it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post

Yes, but it took them years to make their d3d11 -> GL wrapper
                To be fair Wine devs weren't really interested in DX11 before. When they started work it took few Wine releases to bring Witcher 3 from "not working" to "render properly".

Comment

Ok that's less confusing. So by switching to AMDGPU instead of Radeon, I'm still using the RadeonSi driver when using AMDGPU?
                  Right - radeonsi has back ends for both kernel driver options.

You do need to change the X driver if you are using -ati (the radeon X driver) AFAIK - either the amdgpu or modesetting X drivers will work.
                  Test signature

Comment

This was inevitable (DX over Vulkan for Wine). Great to see someone's picked up the gauntlet and started it. Even better that they're making great progress.

Comment

Yes. RadeonSI = OpenGL implementation, and it uses a kernel driver called either RADEON or AMDGPU.

Radv = Vulkan implementation, and it uses a kernel driver but only currently works with AMDGPU.

So by switching to AMDGPU you can use Radv and RadeonSI for both Vulkan and OpenGL. By using the older radeon kernel driver, you don't get any Vulkan support.

Comment

Working...
                      X