Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FESCo Approves A Big Round Of Fedora 28 Features

Phoronix: FESCo Approves A Big Round Of Fedora 28 Features

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) approved of a number of feature requests for the Fedora 28 release due out in May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Udev is not ready for the desktop.-
    Many potential new users walk frustrated away after not getting their USB devices to work like for ex.:
    https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...-rules/&page=2
    No other OS require such...

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
      Udev is not ready for the desktop.-
      Many potential new users walk frustrated away after not getting their USB devices to work like for ex.:
      https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...-rules/&page=2
      No other OS require such...
      Problem with rudder pedals is, that they usually don't have any buttons, so the udev heuristics doesn't recognize them as joystick like device.
      It's not udev not ready for desktop, it's a device that managed to avoid heuristics and that nobody reported it so udev devs could fix it.

Comment

I've reported it years ago but nobody cares.

I've 3 usb joysticks and only one works out of the box. For the other 2 I've spent around 2 hours for udev configuration.

Comment

Could you please share the issue number you've reported against systemd on github?

Comment

Binutils 2.30 should be out very soon (maybe two weeks). It's a bit strange that they are going with 2.29.1 while still bumping GCC to 8.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlt View Post
              Binutils 2.30 should be out very soon (maybe two weeks). It's a bit strange that they are going with 2.29.1 while still bumping GCC to 8.
              well not really, look at freetype 2.9 thats just a small minor release which really isnt worth updating to so there staying with 2.8 , if binutils 2.30 is a minor release also it aint worth jumping to

Comment

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post
                Could you please share the issue number you've reported against systemd on github?
                I've reported it years ago to the Ubuntu UDEV team. I don't know how to report it to git. Is there any possibility to upload our udev rules we painfully had to create?

I remember my usb joysticks to simply work before udev!

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                  I've reported it years ago to the Ubuntu UDEV team.
                  Then blame Ubuntu, not udev. As a general rule of thumb, issues must be reported upstream, your distro can do something only about packaging issues.

Ubuntu bugtracker does more harm than good, as people report bugs there and none from ubuntu looks at them. Upstream developers don't look at that either.

I don't know how to report it to git. Is there any possibility to upload our udev rules we painfully had to create?
                  Github, not git. Udev upstream is in systemd's Github repository. This is the issue tracker: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/i...ssue+is%3Aopen

I don't know if you can send them udev rules, they will probably ask you to send a Pull Request (edit code and send a patch with github) to add it to the udev hardware database, see another issue about adding a device https://github.com/systemd/systemd/i...ssue+is%3Aopen
                  (and the subsequent Pull Request to add that device)
                  I remember my usb joysticks to simply work before udev!
                  If the manufacturer does not support them beyond release date, it's their own problem. Adding an entry to udev hardware database so they work fine is not hard (for a developer anyway).
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 22 January 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

to ask users to create udev rules means that it's not ready for desktop and has to be removed

Comment

Working...
                    X