No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Finally Adapted To Better Deal With 16:9 & 16:10 Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signals Yeah, it was f*** obvious, I feel super dumb for not seeing it, somehow... (not thinking in the right way) I always end up with drawing a triangle to have same surface... and ignoring diagonal that would ofc. change it's size in such a small angle and with 1000:1 hypotenuse would become as close in lenght to the one side. However, all I had to do is to keep hypotenuse at 13 inch and it's freaking obvious lol.

I proven that I wasn't sarcastic, for you to prove you wasn't sarcastic it requires someone who actually do not suck at math .

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It's hard to find 16:10 with better resolution than 1920x1200 that also have good color and low response time.

Dell has some, but their response time is worse than for 16:9 models.
      Look for 30 inch 1600p screens.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It's hard to find 16:10 with better resolution than 1920x1200 that also have good color and low response time.

Dell has some, but their response time is worse than for 16:9 models.
        Ya thats why im using 2x Dell u2415. 24" 1920x1200. AH-IPS very low power consumption with very good latency response for my casual gaming.

Basicly the u2414 is the same panel but they cut the bottom half away to make it fullhd. The DPI was horrible on that one. And latency wasnt faster either. And actually the latency is bit slower the bigger you go (at least in normal this price range) aspect ration doesnt matter.
        Last edited by Dehir; 19 January 2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I bought an u2415 for myself as a Christmas present. And I LOVE it. I really hate 16:9 displays, too wide to be useful in landscape orientation, too narrow to be useful in portrait. No more staring at a crappy laptop screen for me Next step is to build a small Ryzen desktop computer when time and funds allow it and use that instead of connecting my laptop to the display. I have been very space constrained where I live last several years, so was stuck with my laptop and no desktop computer...

Originally posted by Dehir View Post

Ya thats why im using 2x Dell u2415. 24" 1920x1200. AH-IPS very low power consumption with very good latency response for my casual gaming.

Basicly the u2414 is the same panel but they cut the bottom half away to make it fullhd. The DPI was horrible on that one. And latency wasnt faster either. And actually the latency is bit slower the bigger you go (at least in normal this price range) aspect ration doesnt matter.

Comment

[QUOTE=..., I never understood people's obsession with going wider.[/QUOTE]

The movie and other media people did it (they'd really rather have 21:9), with collaboration from the screen-manufacturers who could get more screens of a given "size" from a wafer -- because the screens are smaller for a given diagonal (approx 171 in^2 @ 16:9 vs 180 in^2 @ 16:10, for a "20-inch" screen).

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Look for 30 inch 1600p screens.
              Can you give some example please, that's IPS and has decent response time for gaming? I've been using Dell u2413 for a while now, and it's good, but I'd like to increase resolution while keeping 16:10 with above requirements as well.
              Last edited by shmerl; 19 January 2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                signals Yeah, it was f*** obvious, I feel super dumb for not seeing it, somehow... (not thinking in the right way) I always end up with drawing a triangle to have same surface... and ignoring diagonal that would ofc. change it's size in such a small angle and with 1000:1 hypotenuse would become as close in lenght to the one side. However, all I had to do is to keep hypotenuse at 13 inch and it's freaking obvious lol.

I proven that I wasn't sarcastic, for you to prove you wasn't sarcastic it requires someone who actually do not suck at math .
                I think the simplest way to think of it is that the closer you get to a square, the bigger the surface area will get for a given diagonal. 16:9 is further from a square than 16:10, so it'll have less surface area for the same diagonal.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Oh you've got to tell us how you do that! Most games on linux don't support fullscreen window mode, and it really is the best possible mode when you're playing on a multimonitor setup.
                  To lock the resolution using MetaModes, what you want to do is set up your desired monitor layout (and choose your desired primary monitor for games to fullscreen to) in nvidia-settings, click "Save to X Configuration File", click "Show preview...", copy-paste the following lines, and then cancel out:

Code:
                  Option  "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder"       "DFP-1"
                  Option  "metamodes" "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+56, DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +3200+56"
                  Replace the nvidia-auto-select tokens with a list of resolutions you want to lock each monitor to (a list with one element will prevent resolution changing altogether) and add it to your xorg.conf so it looks like this:

Code:
                  Section "Device"
                          Identifier      "Default Device"
                          Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
                          Option  "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder"       "DP-0"
                          Option  "metamodes" "DVI-I-0: 1280x1024+0+56, DP-0: 1920x1080+1280+0, HDMI-0: 1280x1024+3200+56"
                  EndSection
                  (The xorg.conf nvidia-settings wants to generate will suppress much more autodetection than you want.)

Then, to retrofit the games for windowed fullscreen, I typically use one of the following options:
                  1. If the game is OK with resizing the window after creation, I set the game to run Windowed at whatever rendering resolution I desire, then press F11 (which is bound to "toggle Fullscreen" in my KWin). You'd be surprised how many game engines just Do The Right Thing in this situation as long as you start them at a windowed resolution with the right aspect ratio. (eg. Don't fullscreen a 16:9 window to a 5:4 monitor unless you want part of your HUD cropped away.)

In some cases where a game does provide its own "fullscreen windowed" mode, this still works better. For example, the fullscreen windowed mode in the FTL update that just got pushed on GOG.com always appears on the wrong monitor and can't be dragged to another one without seizing up the rendering, while this approach Just Works™.)

I've also found that double-tapping F11 can fix fullscreening bugs in some Wine games, such as Guild of Dungeoneering.
                  2. Set the game to run in windowed mode at the resolution of the monitor I intend to run it on, then use KWin's Window Rules support to make it a borderless window which suppresses compositing and gets placed on said screen.

(This relies on having a GPU powerful enough to render at the monitor's native resolution, but works when the game locks the window size, preventing F11 from working.)
                  The one caveat is that some games (I'm looking at you, Dungeons of Dredmor) only offer valid fullscreen resolutions as windowed resolutions. I've been meaning to write an LD_PRELOAD hook to lie to SDL-using games about available fullscreen resolutions and coerce any requests for fullscreen at the synthesized resolutions to windowed.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    I make xrandr sandwich when i want some game to force as lower but also as fake native resoultion, something like

Code:
                    xrandr --output X --mode Y --panning Y ; [B]your app[/B] ; xrandr --output X --mode Z --fb Z --panning Z
                    First set lower one and when app finish revert back to native but with all these This reverts things fine, just hopefully that app is not buggy and won't crash in between, but who cares about these cases - DO NOT RUN BROKEN APPS
                    I leave my desktop running for weeks on end, with countless in-progress projects open. If a solution can't deal with broken apps, it's not worth the risk of having to swear up a storm and then get all my windows back into the right places because the application's first run behaviour was "change the damn resolution". (When I install games in Wine, I generally enable "Emulate a virtual desktop" for the first run to guard against this.)

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    That is so called "exclusive fullscreen" bit or feature, All what Windows do there is to dynamically switches between these modes by also taking everything into account, even when some app crashes
                    This is why I'm looking forward to Wayland being mature enough to meet my needs. Only privilieged apps get access to the APIs which allow resolution changing or screensaver suppression to outlive the window which requested them... and the compositor has a clear understanding of when it should and should not move the windows around to keep them from being lost off the edge of the desktop.

Comment

One of these days we will get a per dpy VSYNC support instead of per screen VSYNC one (multi display / single virtual screen setup). If that is already possible lemme know.

Comment

Working...
                      X