Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

but more fun!
    only if you have someone paying for all the time spend, ...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I really don't how understand security is anything to be concerned about, especially considering the amount of effort it takes to reverse-engineer Nvidia's work.
      Also, Nvidia never had support for PPC (except maybe older models for Mac), and Kepler GPUs probably demand more PCIe bandwidth than what a G5 has to offer. So even if Nvidia had any obligation to get newer GPUs to work on PPC, they wouldn't be worth using anyway.
      As for DragonlyBSD (or other BSDs), I thought Nvidia supplied working closed-source drivers for the BSDs?

Like mentioned earlier, just go for Intel or AMD. As of today, the only reason to pick Nvidia over AMD for Linux is for:
      * The software support from the closed-source drivers (which you already established you can't use)
      * The extra features supplied by the closed-source drivers
      * The performance you get from a 1080Ti or Titan Xp (which neither your G5 nor Nouveau are going to take advantage of)
      Fun fact - when I ordered the G5 for Linux PowerPC development I intentionally chooses the cheapest entry level graphic option fully knowing I will for many years not be able to make more us of it than a dump frame buffer. And so it was. Still a perfectly fine machine. To connect a 4k display for screen real estate and crystal sharp HiDPI fonts? Of course I replicated the Nvidia junk with an AMD one. Because those just work. Also on PowerPC or whatever I may want to use.

If you want to run closed source install Windows, otherwise it is a peace of cancer in your open source Linux landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

So buy AMD or Intel..
        AMD of course, only. And that is what I recumbent to every open source user.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          You don't have to. You can use Nvidia's driver. But then, you already knew that...
          reverse engineering allows you to infer design from product. use of nvidia blob doesn't

Comment

but more fun!
            i'm not sure how much fun is for redhat to pay for this

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Like mentioned earlier, just go for Intel or AMD. As of today, the only reason to pick Nvidia over AMD for Linux is for:
              * The software support from the closed-source drivers (which you already established you can't use)
              * The extra features supplied by the closed-source drivers
              * The performance you get from a 1080Ti or Titan Xp (which neither your G5 nor Nouveau are going to take advantage of)
              in all those cases you are already using windows anyway

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                only if you have someone paying for all the time spend, ...
                ??? pease explain why somebody needs to pay for it, so that it becomes fun? I don't see how the concept of fun is related to getting paid at all.

Comment

??? pease explain why somebody needs to pay for it, so that it becomes fun? I don't see how the concept of fun is related to getting paid at all.
                  Maybe they're meaning you invest more time that way and for many time is a bottleneck due to day job

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Maybe they're meaning you invest more time that way and for many time is a bottleneck due to day job
                    right, but I am now wondering why anybody here would actually care enough to bring it up. I mean there might be valid business reasons for that to happen or maybe not? I can't tell you.

Comment

people also need to pay for things in live, food, rent, ... and this is a multiple year reversing effort, ...

Comment

Working...
                      X