Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks 14.1 Video Editor Steps Closer To Release

Phoronix: Lightworks 14.1 Video Editor Steps Closer To Release

The multi-platform, professional-grade Lightworks non-linear video editing system is getting close to releasing version 14.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Lightworks 14.1 Video Editor Steps Closer To Release

The multi-platform, professional-grade Lightworks non-linear video editing system is getting close to releasing version 14.1...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...works-14.1-RC3
    As a reminder, the "free" version of Lightworks can only export in h.264 @ 1280x720. Anything else requires a license or subscription.

If you need more functionality, you should shop Lightworks against the myriad of other editors, however, in the Linux world it does stand out compared to ShotCut, OpenShot, Pitivi and KdenLive. It's great to see so much movement in the editing space on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

As a reminder, the "free" version of Lightworks can only export in h.264 @ 1280x720. Anything else requires a license or subscription.

If you need more functionality, you should shop Lightworks against the myriad of other editors, however, in the Linux world it does stand out compared to ShotCut, OpenShot, Pitivi and KdenLive. It's great to see so much movement in the editing space on Linux.
      And don't forget DaVinci Resolve.

Comment

Since I require the combination of free+open source (can be audited)+video editor does not make network connections(does not phone home for license/subscription checks etc)+1080p export (though that could be ANY codec), Lightworks cannot be used for my work. If the free version were to release the subset of the code necessary to build all the portions that run with no subscription, and be able to export in any resolution to say, an uncompressed free codec I could use it and the use Avidemux to get the final compressed file.

I use Kdenlive: uses unpaid ffmpeg codecs(a proprietary program's authors can't do this), exports to any resolution, has enough features to do what I need it to do, even my very complex year end videos with hundreds of clips, captions, and effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          Since I require the combination of free+open source (can be audited)+video editor does not make network connections(does not phone home for license/subscription checks etc)+1080p export (though that could be ANY codec), Lightworks cannot be used for my work. If the free version were to release the subset of the code necessary to build all the portions that run with no subscription, and be able to export in any resolution to say, an uncompressed free codec I could use it and the use Avidemux to get the final compressed file.

I use Kdenlive: uses unpaid ffmpeg codecs(a proprietary program's authors can't do this), exports to any resolution, has enough features to do what I need it to do, even my very complex year end videos with hundreds of clips, captions, and effects.
          Lightworks "Free Edition" is for practical purposes a feature limited untimed trial. They don't say the free version is a "community edition" nor has EditShare ever provided Lightworks via OpenSource.

They use a standard EULA based on EU Commercial Licenses for software as they are based in Hampshire UK.

Comment

I think you can find many similar commercial applications for Linux on the net.

For example. Interactive Effects has existed since 1983, and they were developing software for SGI computers. In 2004, they ported Piranha to Linux before the versions for Mac (2012) and Windows (2013).

The list of movies is impressive, e.g., Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Avatar, etc.

Here is a second instance:

We can forget about Autodesk that ported Flame to Linux:

It is a fantastic presentation of this software:

This video is part of the Beginners Guide Series to the Flame Family.Part 1 introduces you to the Flame Family of products. Flame is a unique high-end VFX so...

Autodesk Flame is a powerful finishing and VFX solution for creating high-grade film and TV productions. Buy a Flame subscription from the official Autodesk store or a reseller.

They even created a version of CentOS with their software and these applications are only available for Linux and Mac. Autodesk does not plan to port them to Windows.

Why does Phoronix not inform users about these applications?

How many times users have to read about the new version of the same application like lightworks?

IT IS BORING!
            Last edited by gbudny; 12 January 2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

At least it now starts on Debian.

That being said, Cinelerra works fine and is free. ( GG version recommended: https://cinelerra-cv.org/download.php )

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                I think you can find many similar commercial applications for Linux on the net.

For example. Interactive Effects has existed since 1983, and they were developing software for SGI computers. In 2004, they ported Piranha to Linux before the versions for Mac (2012) and Windows (2013).

The list of movies is impressive, e.g., Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Avatar, etc.

Here is a second instance:

We can forget about Autodesk that ported Flame to Linux:

It is a fantastic presentation of this software:

This video is part of the Beginners Guide Series to the Flame Family.Part 1 introduces you to the Flame Family of products. Flame is a unique high-end VFX so...

Autodesk Flame is a powerful finishing and VFX solution for creating high-grade film and TV productions. Buy a Flame subscription from the official Autodesk store or a reseller.

They even created a version of CentOS with their software and these applications are only available for Linux and Mac. Autodesk does not plan to port them to Windows.

Why does Phoronix not inform users about these applications?

How many times users have to read about the new version of the same application like lightworks?

IT IS BORING!
                First off, Phoronix relates to performance on Linux platforms, mostly "under the hood" and around gaming.

It isn't a directory of Linux based products, though I do hear about stuff here I wouldn't find elsewhere.

I wouldn't expect Michael to know or get a PR or email on every product known, however, what he tests and produces content on has relevance to Linux based 3D rendering and video NLE's.

But just by him mentioning Lightworks, I learned more about Flame, Cinelerra and Interactive Effects from others.

Comment

I wanted to buy lightworks, but last time I checked it was like $500 a license and I only intended to use it for recreational open source purposes. I want to support them but $400-500 is in the realm where I shy away from making that purchase since I have no professional use for it.

Maybe I could do a year and see if it produces well for me.

Comment

As a user of Lightworks I must say it is amazing application and I am very happy that Editshare had the guts to see the market in the Linux community. It is a commercial product and Linux users should actually be happy that there are companies that do not discriminate Linux users as some other big companies do. Editshare gives some really flexible options for getting the pro license and work in combination with the free license (free and pro version projects are the same, no limitations).

Yes there is Davinci Resolve and Dainci Resolve Lite for Linux, but as of yet it is worthless for editing purposes if you don;t have specific BMD hardware so you could hear sound. To me it renders Davinci Resolve as a no go for anything serious (even though it is amazing and high end app, but Linux user discrimination... meh, don;t see any reason why they can;t output sound via system sound devices as they do on Mac and Windows) Piranha is weirdly designed and last time I checked cost $900, but it's interesting and I suppose worth the price app, products from The Foudnry and Autodesk are even more expensive, SGO has Mistika and it is not cheap either.

As a Phoronix reader I am happy to see mentions of such software like Lightworks.

Comment

Working...
                    X