AMD Cuts Ryzen Prices, Confirms New Hardware, New Ryzen CPUs With Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post

Unless they knew about it for a long time, no.
    IMHO it's also very unlikely that Zen2 will include any such mitigations since AMD indicated that its design is finished.
    Earliest would be Zen3, or Zen2+ if they really want to fix it.
    I worked on CPUs and believe me, bringing a CPU design from concept to production is a _serious_ amount of work and takes a _lot_ of time.
    Zen+ is upcoming one, zen2 might very well have the fix if it's trivial, anything more than trivial is a long way ahead

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Interesting. It seems Intel's new APUs with Vega are targeting a higher performance bracket than AMD's new APUs with Vega? 20-24 CUs for the Intel products and only 8-11 CUs for the AMD products. It makes sense I guess from a historical perspective, but....
      There is no Intel's APUs with Vega These are just on the same package on Intel's Kabylake-G platform, not within same die. See - CPU (or what you could call Intel APU if by AMD nomenclature) on the right, mobile GPU on the left and PCIE in between

How you would put that big mGPU inside CPU, it is impossible?

Basically, instead of doing this with GDDR5 mGPUs and thanks to Vega and HBM they did this design to save space

Last edited by dungeon; 08 January 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post

Unless they knew about it for a long time, no.
        IMHO it's also very unlikely that Zen2 will include any such mitigations since AMD indicated that its design is finished.
        Earliest would be Zen3, or Zen2+ if they really want to fix it.
        I worked on CPUs and believe me, bringing a CPU design from concept to production is a _serious_ amount of work and takes a _lot_ of time.
        Expect a long time until fixed hardware ships.

This thread was quite enlightening to me.

Comment

The deal breaker at the moment is motherboard prices. The CPUs aren't cheap but seemingly worth it... but then the TR4 motherboards cost >50% the cost of a Threadripper CPU where I live. Intel socket 2066-pin boards start at AU$369 for a ASRock X299 Gaming K6, but the cheapest TR4 board is a Asus Prime X399-A at AU$549 - and quite a bare bones motherboard honestly. No wifi, only a single M.2 port, etc. Seems way too expensive for what it is.

If AMD gets some basic TR4 boards in at around the AU$300 mark (sold locally - I'm not importing a motherboard), only then would I seriously consider upgrading. I'm assuming it'll happen over the next 6 months, and I can wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Wasn't this obvious from the start? These AMD APU's are traditional APU's made from a single chip put inside a typical CPU sized package. The Intel+Vega product is two larger chips put on a bigger package which doesn't resemble a traditional CPU.
            And? That's pretty obviously why I asked the question. Duh. As posed earlier the question was why? Does AMD have a plan to release higher end APU's eventually or are they just content to let Intel have that segment?

Comment

And? That's pretty obviously why I asked the question. Duh. As posed earlier the question was why? Does AMD have a plan to release higher end APU's eventually or are they just content to let Intel have that segment?
              To compete with Nvidia's mid-range discrete mobile graphics obviously, which is in the interest of both AMD and Intel. Can't do that with a traditional APU, so this is their solution.

Comment

Interesting. It seems Intel's new APUs with Vega are targeting a higher performance bracket than AMD's new APUs with Vega? 20-24 CUs for the Intel products and only 8-11 CUs for the AMD products. It makes sense I guess from a historical perspective, but....
                This is because most gamers want a dedicated gpu, so there isn't much point wasting die space, money and power consumption adding a big die. These are perfect for non-gaming customers. Intel is using the intel apu + amd gpu for some new expensive NUC's that they just announced that cost $799/999 each.

Comment

AMD please make a super powerful APU for XPS-15 like laptops
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

"AMD has a working 7nm AMD product that is a GPU built for machine learning."
                    Is it right to call it a "product" if it's not for sale yet? I would say they have a working device.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

To compete with Nvidia's mid-range discrete mobile graphics obviously, which is in the interest of both AMD and Intel. Can't do that with a traditional APU, so this is their solution.
                      I know nVidia has their Arm products like Tegra, but in order for them compete with Intel, wouldn't they have to use Intel processors? It seems like they would.

Comment

Working...
                      X