Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

There's an ongoing ivestigation...
    The question persists: what took them so long?
    And a new question arises (for me, at least): with inflated GPU prices for over a year, when are the GPU manufacturers getting investigated?...
    I suspect that the difference here is that GPU manufactures are not the ones inflating the price of GPU cards. That seems to be the result of excessive demand that is allowing the retailers to gouge. If demand declines I suspect that reasonable pricing will be easier to find.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

That's way more likelly than miners.
      I sure hope GPU get normalized in 2018, since i'm stuck with an RX 550. It's not a bad card (it actually surprised me positively), but it's an RX 550... I'd like to replace it with an RX 580 8G, but i'm not € 320 for a € 250 card...
      Unfortunately GPU cards are good for a lot of things besides mining but I wouldn't dismiss mining as a problem here. The fact is a programmable GPU has certain advantages over programmable hardware. Beyond that AMD hasn't been a total ass like NVIdia and as a result their lower end cards are mover versatile in compute solutions that have nothing to do with mining.

Comment

Originally posted by gripped View Post
        Looks like my i7-3770K is going to have to do me quite a while longer. Now I find it's 'Broken by design' i'm not replacing it with with something else broken by design. Had been planning to get one of the current Ryzen chips when the newer ones came out soon but not anymore.
        You do realize that Ryzen isn't susceptible to one of those faults and the others could take years to resolve.

In any event I'm pretty happy with my new Ryzen Mobile HP EnVY! Performance is very respectable and the thing never seems to warm up. It might of course if I could get all 8 logical machine running but that oesn't happen often. I know there are comments about buying new laptops by others in this thread and all I can say is that this machine is a bargain. The only thing that is a problem is installing a Linux distro as right now I have ot run them in a VM. I expect that to change with a few GPU driver updates.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Do you mean "GPU retailers" ? AFAIK we are not the ones hiking the prices.
          Well, sometimes you (manufacturers) are. Take NVidia inflated MSRP for their mid-range cards, effectively being priced like high-end (Titan series) earlier:
          GTX580 MSRP $500
          GTX680 MSRP $500
          GTX780 MSRP $649!!
          GTX980 MSRP $549
          GTX1080 MSRP $600!

I could buy decent Asus DirectCuII GTX570 six or seven years ago for what I can barely afford some budget version of GTX1060.
          But hey, product is always worth how much people are willing to pay for it... so I'm still not upgrading my GPU.
          (I know AMD is not to blame here since unfortunately it's NVidia who is "dictating" market prices and AMD playing catch up game, and with high HBM2 manufacturing cost, it's hard to compete in price category, for Polaris miners made it worse)
          Last edited by reavertm; 08 January 2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

You do realize that Ryzen isn't susceptible to one of those faults and the others could take years to resolve.
            I do realise that. But I'm not in a big rush or anything. My current setup while old is perfectly usable. I expect a new motherboard/cpu/ram setup to last me a good few years. Like four or five. Not two or three.
            Maybe if Spectre is fully understood and mitigated with neglible performance loss in the future I'll think again. But unless this happens I predict a slump in upgrades of CPU's and devices in general, which will only get worse the closer we get to the arrival of the next 'fixed' generation from all manufacturers.
            Who wants to replace something that's broken for something that's broken but a bit faster. Not me anyway.

Comment

I read before about a 32 core APU from AMD, was that just speculation or is there actually going to be something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Do you mean "GPU retailers" ? AFAIK we are not the ones hiking the prices.
                maybe amd should do web store? i want liquid cooled vega

Comment

Looks like my i7-3770K is going to have to do me quite a while longer. Now I find it's 'Broken by design' i'm not replacing it with with something else broken by design. Had been planning to get one of the current Ryzen chips when the newer ones came out soon but not anymore.
                  ryzen does not have meltdown bug, stop rationalizing

Comment

I do realise that. But I'm not in a big rush or anything. My current setup while old is perfectly usable. I expect a new motherboard/cpu/ram setup to last me a good few years. Like four or five. Not two or three.
                    Maybe if Spectre is fully understood and mitigated with neglible performance loss in the future I'll think again. But unless this happens I predict a slump in upgrades of CPU's and devices in general, which will only get worse the closer we get to the arrival of the next 'fixed' generation from all manufacturers.
                    Who wants to replace something that's broken for something that's broken but a bit faster. Not me anyway.
                    You are going to get the patches so if you are worried about a slowdown the entire field is going to go slower. You are going to have to wait 2 - 3 years before there are fixed processors. The AMD processors are less broken than the Intel if that matters.

I changed out my 3770K this year for an AMD 1800x and love it. I do run a music server, video server and from time to time virtual machines. I play games while the servers are running so I really love the extra cores. I noticed a pretty good speedup but it might be going to a much more modern motherboard.

I do understand your waiting and I might have been doing it myself other than my motherboard was starting to get flaky and I wasn't ready to reinvest in old tech.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      ryzen does not have meltdown bug,
                      As I said I know.

stop rationalizing
                      I can only read that as "Stop having an opinion which differs from mine" so with all due respect no.

Comment

Working...
                      X