AMD Cuts Ryzen Prices, Confirms New Hardware, New Ryzen CPUs With Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

That seems to be the 'official' excuse... But after a year, do you believe miners are still buying GPUs?...
    If you believe the statistics at coinmarketcap dot com, the total market value of all currently active crypto currencies in the world is 750 billion dollars. Getting a piece of that pie is a pretty good reason to buy a GPU.

I'm not doing it. I figure the chance to get rich quick passed within a few months of Bitcoin and Ethereum getting the crazy hype in the press. But to be fair maybe there's gold on the ground if you just put in a few hours of research.

Comment

That seems to be the 'official' excuse... But after a year, do you believe miners are still buying GPUs?...
      If they are mining cryptocurrencies like Ethereum or others that are still profitable... yeah sure. Not as much as before (when they were flat sold out), but still enough to make a difference in price.

But failing that we can always blame the Illuminati.

Comment

Since there was no mention of a successor for the RX 500 GPUs, does that mean there won't be any this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
          Any information as to whether Zen2 will provide any silicon level support to help mitigate Spectre
          It is *way* too late for that. These things take 12-16+ months to redo, depending on how complex the fix is.

Comment

I rather like the small footnote to a free HDMI2.1 update for RX GPUs soon.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              If they are mining cryptocurrencies like Ethereum or others that are still profitable... yeah sure. Not as much as before (when they were flat sold out), but still enough to make a difference in price.

But failing that we can always blame the Illuminati.
              GPU prices more or less got back to normal here in Brazil. But memory, boy, cost a arm and a leg. This remind me of the floods in Asia years ago, when one HDD factory stopped production for a few months and everybody and their mothers shoot prices through the roof. To this day you still cannot buy a HDD for the prices of yore.

Comment

There's an ongoing ivestigation...
                The question persists: what took them so long?
                And a new question arises (for me, at least): with inflated GPU prices for over a year, when are the GPU manufacturers getting investigated?...
                Do you mean "GPU retailers" ? AFAIK we are not the ones hiking the prices.
                Test signature

Comment

Looks like my i7-3770K is going to have to do me quite a while longer. Now I find it's 'Broken by design' i'm not replacing it with with something else broken by design. Had been planning to get one of the current Ryzen chips when the newer ones came out soon but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    Since there was no mention of a successor for the RX 500 GPUs, does that mean there won't be any this year?
                    I'm wondering the same thing... Any news on Navi or mid-range Vega?..

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

This is because most gamers want a dedicated gpu, so there isn't much point wasting die space, money and power consumption adding a big die. These are perfect for non-gaming customers. Intel is using the intel apu + amd gpu for some new expensive NUC's that they just announced that cost $799/999 each.
                      There are more computer users out there than just gamers. The new APU capabilities come in very handy for light engineering and many other tasks that use to require a dedicated GPU. IF AMD or Intel can up the capabilities of an APU nobody is going to suggest that they don't need the GPU performance. It is sort of like CPU performance, nobody that experiences a faster CPU really want to go back a generation.

As for those expensive NUC's, that would be a very adequate workstation for many occupations. The days of the massive towers are over for most informed users.

Comment

Working...
                      X