Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    There's an ongoing ivestigation...
    The question persists: what took them so long?
    And a new question arises (for me, at least): with inflated GPU prices for over a year, when are the GPU manufacturers getting investigated?...
    Never, because the cause is well-known already, miners miners miners miners miners.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Never, because the cause is well-known already, miners miners miners miners miners.
      That seems to be the 'official' excuse... But after a year, do you believe miners are still buying GPUs?...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

AMD please make a super powerful APU for XPS-15 like laptops
        Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post

Would like to replace my XP-13 9343 with a XPS-15 AMD APU version.
        Let's hope that will happen: http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_ru...3b5c6fbc2&l=en

Comment

Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post

Would like to replace my XP-13 9343 with a XPS-15 AMD APU version.
          I would like to replace my XPS 13 9343 with an AMD XPS 15 as well
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
            Uh? What's this?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

That seems to be the 'official' excuse... But after a year, do you believe miners are still buying GPUs?...
              Merchants are always much quicker to raise prices to steep demands of high quality items that are in short supply than they are to lower prices of the items when demand starts to die down. There are obviously exceptions to this, but you'll usually find that are deeper reasons for everything. It's not just that miners were buying them up that prices raised, but that they wanted to help preserve some of their core consumer base. When the mining craze is over, enthusiasts and other non-miners will be the ones still buying their products. Many stores instituted limits on purchasing with the price of gpu's increasing after making a certain amount of purchases in one transaction. This didn't stop the most shrewd of miners, but it did help to allow everyone else to purchase gpu's while letting merchants enjoy a nicer profit from the surge in demand for gpu's.

The miners aren't buying them as much as before, but enough of the non-miners showed that they were willing to put out money for higher priced equipment. Retail is in business to make money, they're going to take their time in lowering prices to msrp, let alone sales that go below msrp. There's nothing illegal about their current practice since there likely isn't any collusion occurring. Since enough people are buying the products, it'll be tough to make a legal case for price gouging in some areas. This year should see us slowly return to the norms that we're used to in gpus. That, and most of the come-latelies are going to realize that they don't have a real chance anytime soon. It's not always profitable to mine right now, but it people are still banking on major jumps in valuation. If what they believe is true, losing a few dollars today will lead them to dozens or even hundreds of dollars for every buck lost mining right now. A gold rush always brings out the worst in gambler mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by srkelley5 View Post

Merchants are always much quicker to raise prices to steep demands of high quality items that are in short supply than they are to lower prices of the items when demand starts to die down. There are obviously exceptions to this, but you'll usually find that are deeper reasons for everything. It's not just that miners were buying them up that prices raised, but that they wanted to help preserve some of their core consumer base. When the mining craze is over, enthusiasts and other non-miners will be the ones still buying their products. Many stores instituted limits on purchasing with the price of gpu's increasing after making a certain amount of purchases in one transaction. This didn't stop the most shrewd of miners, but it did help to allow everyone else to purchase gpu's while letting merchants enjoy a nicer profit from the surge in demand for gpu's.

The miners aren't buying them as much as before, but enough of the non-miners showed that they were willing to put out money for higher priced equipment. Retail is in business to make money, they're going to take their time in lowering prices to msrp, let alone sales that go below msrp. There's nothing illegal about their current practice since there likely isn't any collusion occurring. Since enough people are buying the products, it'll be tough to make a legal case for price gouging in some areas. This year should see us slowly return to the norms that we're used to in gpus. That, and most of the come-latelies are going to realize that they don't have a real chance anytime soon. It's not always profitable to mine right now, but it people are still banking on major jumps in valuation. If what they believe is true, losing a few dollars today will lead them to dozens or even hundreds of dollars for every buck lost mining right now. A gold rush always brings out the worst in gambler mentality.

That's way more likelly than miners.
                I sure hope GPU get normalized in 2018, since i'm stuck with an RX 550. It's not a bad card (it actually surprised me positively), but it's an RX 550... I'd like to replace it with an RX 580 8G, but i'm not € 320 for a € 250 card...

Comment

Oversized, low information images? Excessive smilies? It must be a dungeon post!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Oversized, low information images? Excessive smilies? It must be a dungeon post!

Last edited by dungeon; 08 January 2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Amateur to prosumer miners who live in their parents basements and don't have to foot the power bill. The heat from the GPU's alone keeps the basement warm at night.

Comment

Working...
                      X