X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by gripped View Post
    Looks like my i7-3770K is going to have to do me quite a while longer. Now I find it's 'Broken by design' i'm not replacing it with with something else broken by design. Had been planning to get one of the current Ryzen chips when the newer ones came out soon but not anymore.
    ryzen does not have meltdown bug, stop rationalizing

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Do you mean "GPU retailers" ? AFAIK we are not the ones hiking the prices.
    maybe amd should do web store? i want liquid cooled vega

Leave a comment:

• bobm4567
    replied
    I read before about a 32 core APU from AMD, was that just speculation or is there actually going to be something like that?

Leave a comment:

• gripped
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

You do realize that Ryzen isn't susceptible to one of those faults and the others could take years to resolve.
    I do realise that. But I'm not in a big rush or anything. My current setup while old is perfectly usable. I expect a new motherboard/cpu/ram setup to last me a good few years. Like four or five. Not two or three.
    Maybe if Spectre is fully understood and mitigated with neglible performance loss in the future I'll think again. But unless this happens I predict a slump in upgrades of CPU's and devices in general, which will only get worse the closer we get to the arrival of the next 'fixed' generation from all manufacturers.
    Who wants to replace something that's broken for something that's broken but a bit faster. Not me anyway.

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Do you mean "GPU retailers" ? AFAIK we are not the ones hiking the prices.
    Well, sometimes you (manufacturers) are. Take NVidia inflated MSRP for their mid-range cards, effectively being priced like high-end (Titan series) earlier:
    GTX580 MSRP $500
    GTX680 MSRP $500
    GTX780 MSRP $649!!
    GTX980 MSRP $549
    GTX1080 MSRP $600!

I could buy decent Asus DirectCuII GTX570 six or seven years ago for what I can barely afford some budget version of GTX1060.
    But hey, product is always worth how much people are willing to pay for it... so I'm still not upgrading my GPU.
    (I know AMD is not to blame here since unfortunately it's NVidia who is "dictating" market prices and AMD playing catch up game, and with high HBM2 manufacturing cost, it's hard to compete in price category, for Polaris miners made it worse)
    Last edited by reavertm; 08 January 2018, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by gripped View Post
    Looks like my i7-3770K is going to have to do me quite a while longer. Now I find it's 'Broken by design' i'm not replacing it with with something else broken by design. Had been planning to get one of the current Ryzen chips when the newer ones came out soon but not anymore.
    You do realize that Ryzen isn't susceptible to one of those faults and the others could take years to resolve.

In any event I'm pretty happy with my new Ryzen Mobile HP EnVY! Performance is very respectable and the thing never seems to warm up. It might of course if I could get all 8 logical machine running but that oesn't happen often. I know there are comments about buying new laptops by others in this thread and all I can say is that this machine is a bargain. The only thing that is a problem is installing a Linux distro as right now I have ot run them in a VM. I expect that to change with a few GPU driver updates.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

That's way more likelly than miners.
    I sure hope GPU get normalized in 2018, since i'm stuck with an RX 550. It's not a bad card (it actually surprised me positively), but it's an RX 550... I'd like to replace it with an RX 580 8G, but i'm not € 320 for a € 250 card...
    Unfortunately GPU cards are good for a lot of things besides mining but I wouldn't dismiss mining as a problem here. The fact is a programmable GPU has certain advantages over programmable hardware. Beyond that AMD hasn't been a total ass like NVIdia and as a result their lower end cards are mover versatile in compute solutions that have nothing to do with mining.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

There's an ongoing ivestigation...
    The question persists: what took them so long?
    And a new question arises (for me, at least): with inflated GPU prices for over a year, when are the GPU manufacturers getting investigated?...
    I suspect that the difference here is that GPU manufactures are not the ones inflating the price of GPU cards. That seems to be the result of excessive demand that is allowing the retailers to gouge. If demand declines I suspect that reasonable pricing will be easier to find.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

This is because most gamers want a dedicated gpu, so there isn't much point wasting die space, money and power consumption adding a big die. These are perfect for non-gaming customers. Intel is using the intel apu + amd gpu for some new expensive NUC's that they just announced that cost $799/999 each.
    There are more computer users out there than just gamers. The new APU capabilities come in very handy for light engineering and many other tasks that use to require a dedicated GPU. IF AMD or Intel can up the capabilities of an APU nobody is going to suggest that they don't need the GPU performance. It is sort of like CPU performance, nobody that experiences a faster CPU really want to go back a generation.

As for those expensive NUC's, that would be a very adequate workstation for many occupations. The days of the massive towers are over for most informed users.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Since there was no mention of a successor for the RX 500 GPUs, does that mean there won't be any this year?
    I'm wondering the same thing... Any news on Navi or mid-range Vega?..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X