AMD PSP Affected By Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
    Server-grade boards typically run their own armv7 chip with it's own linux kernel of 2.2-2.4 variety that will never get updated.
    If you think ME/PSP is bad, these things are literally rootkits meant for sysadmins so they don't ever have to get off their chair and can remotely wipe the machine, download entire linux distribution of flash ROM on board and deploy it via remote interface.
    That's pretty innocuous stuff actually. Hardware-based remote-management systems usually have their own ethernet port (they can't use the server's own ethernet ports) and many can be simply shut down or disabled with a hardware jumper on the board or BIOS setting.

Also there are many server or workstation boards that don't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

arm trustzone is inside amd PSP.
      and as an european i dont see any legal action to do, but if anything can be done it will be known by the FSF
      I know that vendors usually obfuscate their own code in secret execution areas. That i wanted to know is if i install a game for example, is it possible that the game will also start to execute code inside those protected areas?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Im not sure id call it complete breakage. That would be like calling Linux completely broken for one buffer overflow.
        It would be most like calling TiVo DRM broken for a buffer overflow that allowed full access to the entire TiVo, and where that signed kernel with the flaw would be accepted by any TiVo in existence at the time. See, the difference is that if / when a flaw is found in Linux, you patch and move on. Heck, you can even limit your attack surface on Linux by only compiling in the code you need. You can't do that when a magic signed blob is running on hardware that does signature checks for signing keys that aren't your own (which, BTW, also raises interesting questions as to who actually owns the platform or parts of the platform. Does your "hardware purchase" EULA only extend to running code inside AMD's little sandbox?)

Comment

In summary update bios to ryzen and that I would have to turn off?. In my case gigabyte ax-370 gaming 5

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

It would be most like calling TiVo DRM broken for a buffer overflow that allowed full access to the entire TiVo, and where that signed kernel with the flaw would be accepted by any TiVo in existence at the time. See, the difference is that if / when a flaw is found in Linux, you patch and move on. Heck, you can even limit your attack surface on Linux by only compiling in the code you need. You can't do that when a magic signed blob is running on hardware that does signature checks for signing keys that aren't your own (which, BTW, also raises interesting questions as to who actually owns the platform or parts of the platform. Does your "hardware purchase" EULA only extend to running code inside AMD's little sandbox?)
            errr, ..? yeah, side channel read bluray, netflix etc. DRM keys, hell yeah! ;-)!!! this bug is useful for something! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Im not sure id call it complete breakage. That would be like calling Linux completely broken for one buffer overflow.
              Linux kernel can be updated very easily to load a fixed kernel. PSP or ME firmwares can't usually be updated.

A half-assed system would have at least allowed end-users to update ME firmware independently with whatever latest blob Intel/AMD push with the fixes.

More specifically the idea that s remote management solution should have so much access to the PC hardware. By the way i blame these feature on the like of Google and other large IT outfits that have demanded these intrusive remote management features. For the most part corporate IT creatures get giddy over the idea that they never have to leave their desk to manage a computer. It helps them grow fat you know.
              Fuck you. IT departments are tiny, even large corporations only have a handfew people managing hundreds or even thousands of PCs, many of which are not even in the same building complex.
              Without remote management you would have to hire temporary workers to help them do the job in a reasonable amount of time.

ME/PSP's remote management feature is just ONE of the features they offer, their remote management does NOT use anywhere near the level of control ME/PSP actually have. These systems are about making sure someone maintains control over the client system no matter what (basically some form of DRM, anti-theft features, other security or even just convenience applications).

At best remote management needs nothing more than a cheap PIC processor to reboot the machine when the time comes. For anything more demanding the IT worker needs to get off his dead ass and investigate the machine locally. You see these facilities aren't about government spying as much as they are about entitled IT workers that never want to leave the comfort of their $1000 office chair.
              Next time we need to reconfigure (install/uninstall shit) on 300 workstations by whatever unreasonable schedule a manager comes up I'm going to recruit you as "button-mashing monkey".

Also when we need to fix issues asap on a PC in a remote branch which is far too small to have a resident IT guy on standby.

The paranoia in this thread is overwhelming but i really think people need to step back a bit, breath and think. Just like we will never have a completely secure OS we will never have a completely secure hardware solution. As such you have to expect these sorts of discoveries from time to time.
              The entire concept of security without updates is the main reason the whole concept of "hardware-based" security is bullshit. Security is an arms race. If you don't update you get steamrolled. Hardware can assist, but it's update-able software that MUST pull the strings, or it's all security theater that serves nothing.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 January 2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Server-grade and workstation boards and processors from 2-3 years ago sell for cheap on ebay and still perform (and have power consumption) perfectly in line with modern stuff.

Also great if you are looking to have something which is certified for and reasonably likely to use ECC ram. The mini-itx board I use in my NAS won't boot at all if it can't verify the memory is ECC (like most other Supermicro boards anyway).
                Intel ME has been present since Core 2 Duo era. So you're pretty much limited to Opterons? That's 2012 at their newest so not really 2-3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
                  At least on my Gigabyte B350 board the fTPM is disabled by default. It got an update last month which opened up a whole new menu of AMD stuff which I haven't had time to properly look through, it'll be interesting to see what I can mess with there.
                  Could you post a screenshot (yes many UEFI firmwares can make screenshots) or a picture of the screen?

Might also be interesting for micheael.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                    Intel ME has been present since Core 2 Duo era. So you're pretty much limited to Opterons? That's 2012 at their newest so not really 2-3 years
                    My point was about "how can you trust a system made of proprietary blobs and with a buggy IOMMU like many consumer boards", not how to avoid ME.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                      I know that vendors usually obfuscate their own code in secret execution areas. That i wanted to know is if i install a game for example, is it possible that the game will also start to execute code inside those protected areas?
                      Theoretically yes, but not directly. They can ask to ME to run embedded modules using some API. They can't tell ME to run their own code, unless they flash it as a ME module on flash and it has a valid signature (= have paid to be able to do so).

Malware can do whatever, as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X