Linux Kernel 5.0 when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel 5.0 when?

I was just wondering a lot of the articles on the web stated that 5.0 of the Linux kernel would be released in 2017 and its now the end of 2017 and no 5.0 of the kernel and yet 4.15 will be out in mid-January. Does anyone have an idea when we'll get 5.0 of the Linux kernel released? I did hear when they ended the 2.x.x release that they wouldn't any longer do massive versioning numbering so it got me wondering. Anyone else wondering the same?

As per tradition since Linux 3 days, when Linux 4.20 would otherwise be tagged, it will be called Linux 5.0... So Linux 4.15 is out in a few weeks, then Linux 4.16, 4.17, 4.18, 4.19, and then 5.0. So should be around end of 2018. Really nothing special of "5.0" per se.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      As per tradition since Linux 3 days, when Linux 4.20 would otherwise be tagged, it will be called Linux 5.0... So Linux 4.15 is out in a few weeks, then Linux 4.16, 4.17, 4.18, 4.19, and then 5.0. So should be around end of 2018. Really nothing special of "5.0" per se.
      Ah! OK That's sounds reasonable didn't realize they were doing it like that versioning numbering. I understand now! Thanks for responding, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
        When Linus runs out of fingers and toes to count on, like seriously.

Release candidates below about 6 or 7 aren't really candidates for release and the version numbers themselves are arbitrary and meaningless. Don't even get me started on the meaning of the word "stable"...
        Some systems or computers can be buggy with Linux-based systems or depending on "your" configuration. I'm using the AMD FX-8350 processor with the AMD Radeon R7 370 card and its fine on my system on Arch Linux.

Comment

Working...
        X