There's One Big Feature Left For The Radeon Linux Driver Left To Tackle In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris61 View Post
    Thanks for your information about this theme. You mentioned '.....rather than learning command-line controls ...'. Could you give me a hint where I can find information how to influence the behavior of AMD's graphic cards by terminal commands. Would me help a lot.
    Regards!
    Some commands are terminal utilities that you have to install first like radeontop, mesa-utils etc. On ubuntu:$sudo apt-get install mesa-utils on opensuse:> zypper in Mesa-demo-x (different cause hey why not this is linux?) This will display opengl version :$ glxinfo | grep 'version' https://askubuntu.com/questions/4706...opengl-version I don't know if these one are still usefull cause it will eventually get merged,right guy? Change radeonsi to amdgpu if using kernel 4.9 +:https://varunpriolkar.com/2016/12/ho...-ubuntu-linux/ Change radeonsi to amdgpu if using kernel 4.13+: https://varunpriolkar.com/2016/12/ho...-ubuntu-linux/ I never tried that with kernel 4.13+. For say unreal engine 4:$ue4editor -opengl4 for -vulkan. You can use linux commands for steam games like Dota2 -vulkan.

Comment

I don't think we should get an AMD settings, something more generic that would work for all manufacturers seems like a better plan to me.

Comment

Originally posted by chris61 View Post
        Thanks for your information about this theme. You mentioned '.....rather than learning command-line controls ...'. Could you give me a hint where I can find information how to influence the behavior of AMD's graphic cards by terminal commands. Would me help a lot.
        Regards!
        Some things can be influenced with environment variables. Others with kernel variables, like in /sys/class/drm/card0/device/* (assuming card0 is your current card).

See:

Some undocumented variables include for example enabling anisotropic filtering with:

Code:
        R600_TEX_ANISO=16
        In general documentation is not well organized. Some stuff is hard to find.

I wish someone would make a comprehensive guide like that.
        Last edited by shmerl; 29 December 2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

It's not just about overclocking. Think of application profiles. You may want an easy method to set up games differently. E.g. in old games you want to override AA, vsync to have the best image quality, while in demanding games you may need the opposite just to get a few more frames. Changing all of these globally every time you want to play is a chore, and you can't always rely on in-game settings.
          Bang! Hammer meet Nail....

Per application overrides, including AA.... It's been my experience that most in game settings are completely retarded. And if it's a port then it's highly likely it doesn't even let you change in game settings. It's extremely common. Per application overrides are practically an absolute requirement on linux and so far has been a need completely ignored. It's so frustrating hearing arguments about why AA will never have an override, it's retarded because it's so important.
          Last edited by duby229; 29 December 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I would definitely like to see "Radeon Software Settings" made available as open source for Linux!
            I think that would be the last nail in Nvidia's coffin and the crown jewel for AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Per application overrides, including AA....
              Mesa only supports Jimenez's MLAA for such override. See:

Comment

I't has been almost 2 years since using linux almost exclusively. "Windows gamers transitioning to Linux would expect rather than learning command-line controls" The one command i alway's forget: glxinfo | grep 'version',lol.I have been coming to phoronix everyday reading news about mesa. It's been frustrating but some how rewarding in a strange way. I have learned so much it has been an adventure.

2 years ago I choose opensuse leap 42.1 and installed fglrx for my 2 r9 280x's. I had opengl 4.5, opencl, vulkan crossfire in theory. With Sidefx houdini apprentice I was making fireballs with opencl with second card. Autdesk maya educational installed. Unreal engine 4.13 worked. Ferel interactive games did not support amd cards at the time that used fglrx. I upgraded to opensuse 42.2 and used mesa 11 . Feral Interactive games worked except alien isolation that required mesa with opengl 4.3 .Sidefx had artifacts and still does and Unreal Engine 4.15 . I upgraded to tumbleweed for newer kernel and mesa 13.Ue4 4.15 mesa 13 was not supported. I switched to fedora because redhat was hiring mesa developers.
                Ue4 now worked (Fedora also patched blender bugs). Mesa amdgpu drivers are not supported with sidefx houdini. No amdgpu-pro driver. Back to windows...

I made another computer with Kde neon 16.04.3 and nvidia geforce gtx 660.

Comment

Interesting discussion, not being a heavy gamer im not into constantky reseting GPU parameters so dont feel an overwhelming need for a GUI. However if there are exposed ioctls wouldnt it be feasible for people to write their own GUIs?

Im actually glad that AMD has taken the route described as for me properly function drivers that take little fiddling to keep running are more important. Think of it as putting the key in the ignition and slipping into drive. Frankly they still have a ways to go in this regard so if no GUI comes in 2018 i wont be bothered.

So my desires are a but different:
                  1. Increase performance to be on the par wiyh other platforms.
                  2. Increase reliability and accuracy and do so at the expense of performance as needed. In other words sddress bugs and shortcomings at a priority similar to addressing the performance issues.
                  3. Focus on one driver (sets of drivers) suitable for all users. Id rather have one set if drivers of suitable quality for both Pro and apps. And while the gamers probably dont want to hear this correctness and accuracy should be preferred over performance for gaming. Thankfully there is plenty of room for both here.

Oh one more thing --> lets put a priority on Ryzen Mobile support. This is an excellent product that could do wonders for AMD in the Linux laptop world.

Comment

I think it is needed for the gamer audience. I don't consider myself a gamer but people who are will miss it. This alone is reason enough :-)

Comment

I myself would greatly enjoy ANYTHING understandable to manage voltage on all power profiles on my card - I don't like booting into Windows to play, but when I hear the difference it makes in my card's fan speed when I lower voltage by 0.2V I would SURE love to be able to do the same on Linux! I know it's possible, but no one has ever been able to tell me how to format the instruction I must type to do so.
                      There's a world between a GUI and some instructions one would type in a command line, but when we don't even have the latter it is hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X