Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At Canonical's Financial Performance From 2009 To 2017

Phoronix: A Look At Canonical's Financial Performance From 2009 To 2017

Last week we reported on Ubuntu maker Canonical's financial performance for FY2017 with a $122M turnover and nearly 600 employees after spotting the latest data. For those wondering how that compares to previous years, here is more of the past year's performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who pays a company that didn't have that many developers to begin with and then a few months ago fired most of them? What kind of support do those customers expect from a company that can at best port fixes Red Hat wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Who pays a company that didn't have that many developers to begin with and then a few months ago fired most of them?
      Who said they fired most of them? And the ones they did fire were working on Unity8/phone/convergence. If Canonical's paying customers are concerned with server/cloud/IoT, why do the customers care?

Comment

What calls my attention is, to notice that desktop is not profitable so they move to other areas. Looks like to me there is never going to be a year of the linux desktop

Comment

"FY'2013: -$21.6M
          FY'2014: -$3.3M"

Anyone know / remember what happened here? While profitability is of course good, this is the biggest jump.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

Anyone know / remember what happened here? While profitability is of course good, this is the biggest jump.
            ubuntu 14.04 happens! one of best distros ever. now with the garbage gnome shell they will sufer a lot next year, gnome is simply bad and ubuntu 17.10 is the worst distro I can remember

Comment

Dollars , more is better

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

ubuntu 14.04 happens! one of best distros ever. now with the garbage gnome shell they will sufer a lot next year, gnome is simply bad and ubuntu 17.10 is the worst distro I can remember
                Just to know, what's wrong with Ubuntu 16.04?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                  What calls my attention is, to notice that desktop is not profitable so they move to other areas. Looks like to me there is never going to be a year of the linux desktop
                  I remember an interview with Shuttleworth around the time they dropped Ubuntu 8 and convergence, where he said that the Ubuntu desktop by itself was in fact profitable, Sorry, I'm too lazy to google up the reference ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

2013 was the first release of Ubuntu for Phones, that probably took on a lot of temporary R&D expenses.

Comment

Working...
                    X