Ubuntu 17.10 Temporarily Pulled Due To A BIOS Corrupting Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    could it be the way that UEFI variables are being accessed? that the vendor has taken some short cuts and used the same chip for both UEFI firmware or BIOS, and the non-volatile UEFI settings?
    AFAIK no. Manipulating UEFI variables happens through UEFI APIs, not raw flash writing.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      Just to clarify, is this a BIOS thing or a UEFI thing?
      Since the early 90s, this kind of thing is incredibly rare for a BIOS. However since UEFI came onto the scene it is becoming quite common.

I am beginning to think that UEFI is only around so that Intel, Microsoft and other skanks can do horrible things to their users.
      FYI, my old dead Acer does not have UEFI.

Comment

Just to add my two cents worth and a question. So I have a Lenovo ideaPad 310 laptop with an AMD Bristol Ridge APU (Carrizo refresh) running Ubuntu 17.10 with an AMI BIOS 2016 model. I have had no issues so far and have actually been in the BIOS a couple of times since installation of 17.10 with no corruption seen yet.

Question 1: Is this corruption immediate or over time with successive boots?

Question 2: Is this Intel SPI driver in the kernel to be used by both Intel AND AMD based laptops. Or only Intel based laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          Question 1: Is this corruption immediate or over time with successive boots?
          1. Let software manager to download\update Kernel
          2. Shutdown\Reboot
          3. Welcome to dead laptops team

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            I am not talking about GRUB. I am talking about the disk boot priority in the bios. Which defines the order in which the bios goes through the drives looking for bootloaders.
            Sounds like your BIOS is using some kind of internal heuristic to find the first boot disk because AFAIK no Linux installation ever changes those things (and how could they since this is implemented completely different in every BIOS).

Comment

Hunt is on:
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...7/comments/169
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...7/comments/173

Possible workaround, if your machine is still running and you are able to follow what he is doing:
              https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...853208#M157885

(Appears that he had the problem not with Ubuntu, but Antergos.)
              Last edited by sverris; 12-20-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Well, this shouldn't even be possible. In fact, afaik it wasn't possible to brick a computer by installing an OS with PC BIOS.

This is just more evidence that uEFI was an awful mistake (the system firmware should be as simple as possible. uEFI is anything but. The specification is longer than War and Peace!), and of course six years in we're still running into situations where you can interact with uEFI in ways that the documentation says is legal and kill the computer. It's not helping that uEFI and Microsoft apologists have infiltrated the highest levels of not only the Linux kernel developers but the Free Software Foundation as well. Microsoft bought themselves a seat at the Linux Foundation and this "Microsoft loves Linux" crap is really just their realization that Windows isn't good enough for high end computing and they must either take over or sabotage GNU/Linux instead.

Intel should be ashamed and Lenovo should fix their damned bugs instead of banning people who complain about them from their forums and their Facebook wall. Having some people sitting there banning posts about how rotten they are. My advice to people now is just skip the Lenovo junk and buy a computer with GNU/Linux pre-installed. After the BIOS RAID fiasco from last year and their abysmal response to it, users should take note.

Dell, Purism, System76, etc. all have systems that are known to run Linux fine. Lenovo doesn't just treat us GNU/Linux users like ****. They treated their Windows users to the superfish malware, the BIOS that reinstalled crapware every time youu tried to blow it all away, etc. They're not even _neutral_ to GNU/Linux. They're absolutely hostile to all of their customers.
                Last edited by BaronHK; 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Well, my previous post was marked spam by someone, but I'll tl;dr it here.

I actually welcome this. It should show once and for all why uEFI and Lenovo computers are a bad idea and why people should use a reputable vendor and preferably get a pre-installed GNU/Linux model instead. Lenovo actively treats all their customers poorly. They've even shipped their Windows images with malware and with a BIOS that reinstalled all of the shovelware every time you tried to blow it away. Why would they admit to or even care about this "bug". After the BIOS RAID fiasco last year, why would you expect anything better. They might have even put it there so they can imply that it's the fault of Linux and that you really need to stay on Backdoors 10. Since their firmware is proprietary and secret, we will never know. It might not be feasible to get away from uEFI, but you CAN stop buying LolNoVo.

Comment

I should mention that I used Ubuntu 17.10 briefly on my Yoga 900 ISK2 and my BIOS doesn't appear to have been ruined. Maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe the timebomb is in my BIOS waiting for an OS to poke it in just the right way. Perhaps someone will write a quirk for the kernel Linux to avoid the issue, but my advice to people who have a Lenovo laptop is "Don't ever install a new firmware. We don't know what they plan to do next time.".

As an aside, someone mentioned nvram. There was a blog post I read a while back about a guy with a Lenovo laptop whose nvram became read only and stopped him from modifying the boot options. He said that he fresh installs several distributions at any given time and he's probably fresh installed a distro over 500 times before reaching this point.

I guess maybe the lesson is, avoid clean installs. Try installing one distro, staying with it, and dist-upgrading from there. Clean install only as a last resort. We don't know how many you get before your Lenovo nvram turns into nvrom. :/
                    Last edited by BaronHK; 12-20-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Sounds like your BIOS is using some kind of internal heuristic to find the first boot disk because AFAIK no Linux installation ever changes those things (and how could they since this is implemented completely different in every BIOS).
                      No, humbug is absolutely correct and you F.Ultra have absolutely no idea what you are talking about:

http://linuxbsdos.com/2014/06/02/how...efi-boot-menu/
                      https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Efibootmgr

Comment

Working...
                      X