Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller On Why The "Year Of The Linux Desktop" Hasn't Happened

Phoronix: Schaller On Why The "Year Of The Linux Desktop" Hasn't Happened

Longtime Fedora/GNOME developer Christian Schaller who leads the desktop engineering team at Red Hat recently commented on some bold Linux/tech predictions for 2018. He's now also shared his personal opinion on why "the year of the Linux desktop" has yet to materialize...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From the user perspective Linux has been stagnating, while Windows is much better that it was before and now can even run Linux command line programs very well. In the meantime, during the Windows/Linux "war", Apple has been collecting users that were tired of having to compromise something in either choice.

At this point I think the best chance for both Windows and Linux is work together to compensate for each others lacks and gain the user base back. Anything else will actually benefit Apple more.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Christian believes that holding back to the Linux desktop fron conquering

Comment

Visability in brick-and-mortar stores is also a big problem. Most people still buy or discover computers in a store. Many people don't even know Linux exists.

Comment

I have yet to read his blog entry, and from the short list there are probably a lot of valid reasons.
          I guess I'll receive flames for that but from the sheer headline: Gnome (3) and year of the Linux Desktop hasn't happened yet... oh, well. *cough* Y'know. Gnome 3. No surprise it hasn't happened.
          Maybe I should refresh my experience with it, but last time I checked I wasn't really fond of it. (I think it also forced systemD upon me, which is iirc. limiting the use of Gnome3/gdm3 on non-Linux-kernel-driven machines.)
          (For the record: I used KDE since probably a very late 2, definitely 3, 4 and plasma/5, Gnome 2, XFCE, enlightenment, twm (yes, it's painful, I know, but only some kilobytes in size) and iirc something else.)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Sorry but that is just bullshit to me..
            ​​​
            There are four factors that can change it:

1-AAA games are absent on Linux.

2-Adobe Photoshop and Ms Office absence.

3-Linux distros are very easy to use these days ( at least Ubuntu variants ) but they're still not suitable for mediocre people use. A Linux user must be ready for come up solutions for his/her problems.

4-Nearly every computer comes pre installed with Windows and because of that you can't reach or at least gain interest of people. Most of them don't know , other OS options are available other than Windows.
            ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              Sorry but that is just bullshit to me..
              ​​​
              There are four factors that can change it:

1-AAA games are absent on Linux.

2-Adobe Photoshop and Ms Office absence.

3-Linux distros are very easy to use these days ( at least Ubuntu variants ) but they're still not suitable for mediocre people use. A Linux user must be ready for come up solutions for his/her problems.

4-Nearly every computer comes pre installed with Windows and because of that you can't reach or at least gain interest of people. Most of them don't know , other OS options are available other than Windows.
              ​​​​​
              I'll give you the first, but people need to get with the program and use LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
                Visability in brick-and-mortar stores is also a big problem. Most people still buy or discover computers in a store. Many people don't even know Linux exists.
                I think, many do know that it exists, but they have no idea, what the real benefits are. F.i.: I have many intellectual friends (artists and alike), and almost all use mainly Apple-products. If I talk about tax evasion and unfair hardware production at Foxconn and the stupidity of such systems as iOS and why open source and upgradebility and repairability make sense, I always have a hard time. I could not even convince my girl friend not to buy a Macbook, lately - and she can't use lots of older peripheral hardware with it, and this Macbook boots slower than Lubuntu on my 3rd hand Compaq laptop from 2009.

Comment

Linux on the desktop has declined exactly since the day Gnome 3 existed. This is 100% purely because of Gnome 3. Gnome 3's utter failure in the desktop space, tablet space and server space has caused the fragmentation of desktop environments.

The screenshot of Gnome 2 in the article from Fedora Core 3 (or 4) is a vastly superior user experience and together with Sun Microsystem's usability / UX work was on track to become a serious contender for desktop space. Gnome 3 fscked all of this up.

I stopped using a full fledged DE since Gnome 3 was released. It seems that so did everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Linux on the desktop has declined exactly since the day Gnome 3 existed. This is 100% purely because of Gnome 3. Gnome 3's utter failure in the desktop space, tablet space and server space has caused the fragmentation of desktop environments.

The screenshot of Gnome 2 in the article from Fedora Core 3 (or 4) is a vastly superior user experience and together with Sun Microsystem's usability / UX work was on track to become a serious contender for desktop space. Gnome 3 fscked all of this up.

I stopped using a full fledged DE since Gnome 3 was released. It seems that so did everyone else.

In other news, KDE is great.

Comment

Working...
                    X