Systemd 236 Is Being Prepped For Release This Month With Many Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Nobody forced them no, but the whole thing is still essentially a botched implementation of the much needed replacement for init. The fact that something needed to be made doesn't mean you can't criticize the botched implementation of it. Same goes for pottering's previous blunder, pulseaudio.

Also, kind of funny how the people who complain about people writing negative comments about systemd showing up before the people they complain about has now become the norm in systemd-related news articles...
    It's easy to know how systemd threads are going to go, they're as predictable as ones on Outreachy.

Hey, at least my post wasn't 'Grabs popcorn....'

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      HDMI video works fine fine with my Sunvell t95z plus Amlogic S912 tvbox with kernels 3.18 and 4.13 ( I have a pause in my distribution development waiting for hmdi audio). HDMI audio is hardware based, it is routed via spdif interface and a mainline spdif audio driver is implemented and it is simple. It can be a simple pin or register problem why hdmi audio is not working. In the armbian forum, the user balbes claimed that he got hdmi audio to work too with his s912 tvbox.
      The fact that most stuff was reverse-engineered in does not change the basic truth that Amlogic does not support opensource, and therefore any issues you have is your own problem.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 December 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Nobody forced them no, but the whole thing is still essentially a botched implementation of the much needed replacement for init. The fact that something needed to be made doesn't mean you can't criticize the botched implementation of it. Same goes for pottering's previous blunder, pulseaudio.
        The fact that the overwhelming majority of distro maintainers (i.e. people that actually know stuff and do the leg work) did adopt both "botched implementations" pretty fast should be always kept in mind when posting your own critique if you want to sound believable.

Comment

Also, kind of funny how the people who complain about people writing negative comments about systemd showing up before the people they complain about has now become the norm in systemd-related news articles...
          Because it always happens.

Comment

This is my honestly held and sincere view of the systemd matter: I never got the hatred of systemd. For me, its worked absolutely fine. Its a huge improvement that has increased the amount of control over initialization for the user. The declarative style service files are actually much easier to read and understand the shell scripts. The big seller for me is the fact that you can still do SysV init files to your hearts content. I have tested SysV init files with systemd and all works perfectly well. If people do not like the dependency based start up, anyone who wants to can have their service started from a SysV init file and disable the systemd service file. So given that systemd does not remove any functionality and can run SysV init files, and all functionality it adds is an addition to the traditional SysV functionality, it doesnt take away any choice or freedom from anyone.

It actually increases freedom because you can write DBUS based init code that can include any kind of heuristics you want to respond to any series of events. Because of the Bus based design of systemd, its much easier to monitor for system events and events generated by other programs. The system is actually far more modular SysV init, because you can write your own init daemon which can monitor for any other events on the system.

So given that systemd includes all previous functionality, is backwards compatible, those who oppose it seem to think that they need to be able to deny people the ability to use its features, because systemd doesn't actually deny anyone the ability to use SysV type init for their services.

Remember that Ubuntu had Upstart for years which was basically the same thing as systemd, when Ubuntu went to systemd, it wasnt anything new and was an improvement since it standardized on what the other distros have been doing.

For people who do not like the systemd type init files. The fact is, you don't have to use them, just do a SysV init file and systemd will use those.

You try to explain any of this to people, and it flies right over their head and they absolutely refuse to listen. Its just pointless to try to debate with these people. They refuse to listen adn they have this idea in their mind and they refuse to see the facts that clearly contradict it.

Then they will repeat the same old debunked myths about it that have been debunked over and over again, and which you have just explained to them are not true. Like it being "monolithic", its not, its more decentralized that SysV init was because it is a client server bus based design that is totally decentralized and you can write your own daemon in any language you want to start your services. Or that it takes away freedom, which is the opposite of what is true since you actually have more freedom and control since you can start services on any prerequisite series of system events by watching DBUS, according to whatever heuristic logic you need, if you dont like the service files you are free to use procedural code in your own daemon that can watch DBUS for whatever events you want to respond to. It also does not prevent you from using a cron file to start services (systemd offers similar functionality but you are not required to use it).

People who try to attack Poettering by suggesting that its a power grab ignore that systemd is more configurable than sysv init is. I honestly think that Poettering has and intended to increase user freedom and and flexibility to users because of the decentralized bus design of systemd.

Comment

So, far it's been a pretty tame systemd thread (with one notable exception). I wish the ignore user function worked on this forum. We have the same old troll posting the same old image and saying the same old nonsensical bullshit like, "Use gstreamer instead of pulseaudio."

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                So, far it's been a pretty tame systemd thread (with one notable exception).

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                Systemd sucks donkey balls and will always suck donkey balls because of its fascist pig sh1t philosophy. Use ALSA instead of PulseAudio... unless you really don't care like most people, myself included. Life is too short to argue with libtard Nazis, just ignore them like they don't even exist.
                Ask, and ye shall receive.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Debian works fine without systemd as they still have sysv or something like that.
                  Slackware should support all of the various inits out there.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                    Systemd sucks donkey balls and will always suck donkey balls because of its fascist pig sh1t philosophy. Use ALSA instead of PulseAudio... unless you really don't care like most people, myself included. Life is too short to argue with libtard Nazis, just ignore them like they don't even exist.

I still think the kernel needs a "feature" than just makes systemd no longer work. Nobody is forcing Poettering to use Linux, he can switch to BSD if he doesn't like it. What goes around comes around.
                    damn, that a whole of stupid very fast, i think someone just broke a record

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen View Post
                      A bit offtopic but...

I run Arch Linux and got hit by this bug:
                      Submission type: Bug report After System upgrading (2017-10-12) systemd-235.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz on Arch Linux, no user X11 Usersession login was possible. Plasma, XFCE4, Gnome failed, by thorwing...

If I use the proposed solution to comment the line "IPAddressDeny=any" in /ur/lib/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service I can once again login, but it takes an incredibly long time and my sound stops working. Does this new release include a fix for this login issue?
                      is a won't fix mate, since as explained is not smart to allow free reign to NSS, install NSCD as posted in that thread

Comment

Working...
                      X