Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15 Is A Huge Update For Both AMD CPU & Radeon GPU Owners

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Is A Huge Update For Both AMD CPU & Radeon GPU Owners

Linux 4.15 is shaping up to be a massive kernel release and we are just half-way through its merge window period. But for AMD Linux users especially, the 4.15 kernel release is going to be rocking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ryzen and R9 fury user here. waiting for it

Comment

I guess that's some good news while we wait for kernel bug #196683 to be fixed. Temperature readings is kind of a moot point when Ryzen CPU systems randomly hang in kernels 4.13+ - it really makes Ryzen's unfit and unusable for GNU/Linux.

DisplayPort and HDMI audio for AMD GPUs is nice, though. I'm still (ab)using SPDIF carrying AC3 (alsa plugin) on a 16 year old surround receiver due to the lack of support for anything better.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
        DisplayPort and HDMI audio for AMD GPUs is nice, though. I'm still (ab)using SPDIF carrying AC3 (alsa plugin) on a 16 year old surround receiver due to the lack of support for anything better.
        Most 16 year old receivers support SPDIF audio better than HDMI audio anyways. I had an old Sony receiver where the HDMI audio would randomly drop, but the SPDIF interface worked perfectly. Others reported the same, and it was believed to be a bug in an early version of HDMI, I think v1.1.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 18 November 2017, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          I guess that's some good news while we wait for kernel bug #196683 to be fixed. Temperature readings is kind of a moot point when Ryzen CPU systems randomly hang in kernels 4.13+ - it really makes Ryzen's unfit and unusable for GNU/Linux.

It crash on 4.13+ thanks to Intel, but you can fix it:
          First, you need to be sure RCU_NOCB_CPU enabled in the kernel
          Thanks to Intel patch that then pushed an other maintainer to remove CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL, automatic workaround is not possible anymore in distrib using 4.13+ but you can still apply the workaround by adding a boot parameter "rcu_nocbs=0-X" where X = number of thread-1 (so, 15 for a Ryzen 7).

Once the Fix applied, weird video artefacting on your RX if you have one and crash that append mostly on idle will got away. And you will be able to turn C6 back to enabled in the BIOS without extras crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
            It crash on 4.13+ thanks to Intel
            He's actually a IBM asset,

The last month or two has seen a lot of work simplifying the Linux-kernel RCU implementation, with more than 2700 net lines of code removed. The remainder of this post lists the user-visible changes, along with alternative ways to get the corresponding job done. The infamous CONFIG_RCU_KTHREAD_PRIO…

..and I do (ab)use rcu_nocbs=0-11 on my R5 1600X's. It took me a while to figure it out, I initially solved it by simply sticking with 4.12 after trying 4.13. This one is pretty serious, to me 4.12 to 4.13 was going from "works" to "hangs right after boot". It's a big deal, specially on headless boxes.

It's a total scandal, specially because nobody seems interested in fixing it which results in - as you helpfully point out - that a boot parameter is required for these CPUs to work properly. That's not exactly good. Nobody from AMD has commented or acknowledged this problem and I'm guessing they won't until some Ubuntu LTS release updates to a 4.13+ kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Iperpido View Post
              Ryzen and R9 fury user here. waiting for it
              The same here.

Comment

Did anyone escalate the matter to Linus?

Comment

I've read through all the kernel bug #196683 comments, and finally commenters think it's neither one (Intel/IBM), but they feel like it's a Ryzen CPU bug. However they're stuck at finding a way to contact the right AMD person to report the problem, and AMD hasn't commented on that bug as of today.

I do not own any Ryzen and I don't work for AMD, so there isn't much I can do to help here, except asking bridgman to have a look, maybe he knows how get in touch with the AMD CPU team.

Comment

Yes, as I said in the bug report, let's please stop with the stupid baseless FUD. I discovered the RCU_NOCB_CPU workaround myself after a lot of trial and error but didn't exactly shout about it from the rooftops so it's highly unlikely whoever removed the kernel option even knew about the issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X