Quantum-ized Firefox 57 Ready For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    Been running the beta for quite a while. Wasn't sure about the new UI at first, but I'll admit I find it better after getting used to it.
    Last few week has been pretty solid, and all the early bugs/crashes I've encountered has been fixed.
    I've been running the beta also. Very fast, no problem with the few extensions I use.

Comment

There's always Firefox 56 ESR (Extended support release) for those stuck in the past with outdated extensions.
      This would also be a good time to check out Chromium as now there won't be a big difference between what type of extensions Firefox and Chromium can run. Without the old extensions, you are now free to give other browsers an honest try. There's nothing holding you back if you find out there's something to like about the other browser. With being free to choose other stuff, hopefully losing your old extensions won't be as bad as it feels at first.

Comment

Does this version support client side decorations on Linux?

Comment

How is the status of hardware video acceleration on linux? I've found a number of bug reports but don't understand where the problem actually lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            I'm a devoted Firefox user, mainly because I really don't like Chrome (for various reasons, mainly Google)
            do you know that google is the main sponsor of firefox?

Comment

There's always Firefox 56 ESR (Extended support release) for those stuck in the past with outdated extensions.
              The current ESR is 52, next ESR will be 59 ~ mid march 2018. 56 will not receive official support / security updates.

Originally posted by godlike_panos View Post
              Still work in progress. You may try `widget.allow-client-side-decoration` and see if it already does some of the stuff you're looking for.

Comment

work on servo started 5.5 years ago
                it answers questions "why X isn't written in rust?"

Comment

Originally posted by godlike_panos View Post
                  No. It's not done yet, so it'll be in version 59 at the earliest.

Originally posted by heliosh View Post
                  How is the status of hardware video acceleration on linux? I've found a number of bug reports but don't understand where the problem actually lies.
                  There is no problem. It's simply not implemented. My guess is, it won't be with the current renderer, they'll first go about getting webrender finished.

Comment

Still waiting for noscript to release a compatible version which they said they would do by now

Comment

Originally posted by heliosh View Post
                      Not on the horizon yet.
                      I think a big problem is, that ff (at least up to v56) doesn't use OpenGL compositing by default (you can force it via about:config; gives some speed-ups and gets rig of tearing in fullscreen videos) and thus they'd need to copy decoded frames from vram to ram and back again, loosing most of the perf benefit. On top of that they'd have to support multiple api's to make it work on all gpu's. Vaapi for intel, vdpau or nvdec/cuda for nvida and vdpau or eventually vaapi for amd. Vaapi on amd still isn't really usable, because it lacks the proper OpenGL interop, which will probably come with libva 2.1.

Comment

Working...
                      X