Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum-ized Firefox 57 Ready For Download

Phoronix: Quantum-ized Firefox 57 Ready For Download

Firefox 57.0 is being officially released this week and its stable download is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been running the beta for quite a while. Wasn't sure about the new UI at first, but I'll admit I find it better after getting used to it.
    Last few week has been pretty solid, and all the early bugs/crashes I've encountered has been fixed.

Comment

When I try to run this build over the last b14 one I've been using for days I get an error:

Code:
      XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /data/mydata/software/firefox/libmozgtk.so:
      libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      Couldn't load XPCOM.

Comment

I really hope this is a good one... I'm a devoted Firefox user, mainly because I really don't like Chrome (for various reasons, mainly Google), but it must be one of the slowest and most memory hungry applications around, at least in comparison to what it's actually doing.

Comment

And this is what major versions are for. This should be Firefox 5, with 56 (4.xx) being a LTS release.

Comment

And with this Firefox will lose half its loyal base. The extension debacle is a fiasco of the highest magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              And with this Firefox will lose half its loyal base. The extension debacle is a fiasco of the highest magnitude.
              Then over half of the Firefox userbase would have to use extensions and the majority of them would use outdated extensions.

Comment

Finally :-) I'm excited about all the changes. I have been using Firefox-Nightly since weeks and kicked out all Firefox addons. The most important ones for my personal use have been replaced with extensions already.

Comment

Well it was about time for at least something from the Servo project to land in the non-experimental builds of the thing. Still, with the extension shenanigans they are keeping to their tradition of ensuring that they don't take any steps forward. Then again considering all the money they got from Yahoo, which they can just pocket if they decide they don't like Yahoo's new owners, it's not like they need to have a halfway decent browser for the next few years.

Comment

There's always Firefox 56 ESR (Extended support release) for those stuck in the past with outdated extensions.

Comment

Working...
                    X