No announcement yet.

Quantum-ized Firefox 57 Ready For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is now available to Ubuntu users and I am using it, but it breaks 99% of the add-ons, so don't bother upgrading for at least another three months if you rely on specific plug-ins and whatnot. It's not something that they should have put in the update pipeline until next year because of the "full-menu change" difference between it and 56.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Is it really that complicated? I only had a few problems, namely:
      1) Up to date Rust and Cargo required. Do not use Rust from the current Git if you want to avoid a lot of pain later on (speaking from experience).
      2) Semi up-to-date LLVM required. You are good to go with LLVM v4 and higher
      3) Semi up-to-date Clang required. You are good to go with LLVM v4 and higher with Clang built as part of the LLCM package.

With these requirements met (i built my own Rust, Cargo, LLVM and CLang using a mix of instructions from the Git readmes and the LFS site), I was able to build a working copy of Quantum.
      rustc 1.21.0
      cargo 0.22.0

Compiling style v0.0.1 (file:///usr/src/t2-trunk/src.firefox.default.20171116.123103.3916.nouveau/firefox-57.0/servo/components/style)
      error: failed to run custom build command for `style v0.0.1 (file:///usr/src/t2-trunk/src.firefox.default.20171116.123103.3916.nouveau/firefox-57.0/servo/components/style)`
      process didn't exit successfully: `/usr/src/t2-trunk/src.firefox.default.20171116.123103.3916.nouveau/firefox-57.0/objdir/toolkit/library/release/build/style-d6803729fd845b3c/build-script-build` (exit code: 101)

also cargo itself looks like a total huge and dependency hell, why does it need really that many modules by default, and why is the firefox build system using this cargo stuff in between their other makefiles and whatnot?

Looks like a total PITA to debug and understand what is actually happening and failing.

Comment

Is it really that complicated? I only had a few problems, namely:
        1) Up to date Rust and Cargo required. Do not use Rust from the current Git if you want to avoid a lot of pain later on (speaking from experience).
        2) Semi up-to-date LLVM required. You are good to go with LLVM v4 and higher
        3) Semi up-to-date Clang required. You are good to go with LLVM v4 and higher with Clang built as part of the LLCM package.

With these requirements met (i built my own Rust, Cargo, LLVM and CLang using a mix of instructions from the Git readmes and the LFS site), I was able to build a working copy of Quantum.
        well you wrote yourself:

Quantum is quite troublesome to build.

First, it demands that Rust and Cargo be very up to date. And woe to anyone who tries to compile Quantum with the git version of Rust: the process will throw out 19 (i counted) errors that must be manually patched.
        .. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

well you wrote yourself:
          .. ;-)
          Maybe for your case you should try building the Git versions of Rust + Cargo, then compile LLVM v5 +Clang v5 + compiler-rt v5 into a separate location to avoid overwriting the distribution-provided packages and set $PATH to look for the newer binaries before the system versions.

I am no developer (heck, i have zero knowledge of code and programming languages), but Style appears to use both Rust and Clang, and my build compiled with my own Rust, Cargo, LLVM and Clang binaries (after Googling around for a solution and making patches to fix the 19 errors that comes from using the Git version of Rust).

And for the record, I'm using a very old, EOL version of Fedora (F23) for my personal computing, which also happens to be my build platform. Maybe I'll try it out over the weekend with an EOL Ubuntu 15.10, again with self-built versions of Rust, Cargo, LLVM and Clang to see if it is successful there.

Also, I'm using the Firefox 57 source tarball for my builds, and not a checkout.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 16 November 2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Maybe for your case you should try building the Git versions of Rust + Cargo, then compile LLVM v5 +Clang v5 + compiler-rt v5 into a separate location to avoid overwriting the distribution-provided packages and set $PATH to look for the newer binaries before the system versions.

I am no developer (heck, i have zero knowledge of code and programming languages), but Style appears to use both Rust and Clang, and my build compiled with my own Rust, Cargo, LLVM and Clang binaries (after Googling around for a solution and making patches to fix the 19 errors that comes from using the Git version of Rust).

And for the record, I'm using a very old, EOL version of Fedora (F23) for my personal computing, which also happens to be my build platform. Maybe I'll try it out over the weekend with an EOL Ubuntu 15.10, again with self-built versions of Rust, Cargo, LLVM and Clang to see if it is successful there.

Also, I'm using the Firefox 57 source tarball for my builds, and not a checkout.
            I'm using latest stable release version tarballs for nearly all of my system (https://t2sde.org). Now it finally built, had to fix clang++ header paths, sigh. Also firefox somehow did not wanted to find the pixman system headers. Why should it use pkg-config for that, ...

Anyway, now that I got it built, many websites miss the fonts, sigh. What a brave new world, ...

(/opt/mozilla.org/lib64/firefox-57.0/firefox:10713): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Bitstream Vera Sans 9.9990234375'

Update: ok, after hacking the hardcoded sandbox font paths it works - https://t2sde.org/packages/firefox.html sandbox-fonts.patch IMHO this should be done more elegant and automatic, without this hardcoded "best guess" locations. As should the LLVM/clang headers, sigh. All the fixed hardcoding short-cuts :-/
            Last edited by rene; 16 November 2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Is this autogenerated? Some of the dependencies don't make sense, why is Thunderbird a dependency for Firefox? Why are Rust, Cargo, LLVM and Clang not listed as dependencies?

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post

CanvasBlocker is a WebExtension since October 6th with version 0.4.0.
                Nice work: one down and this is one of the most important. Like I said, this is a hold until all extensions are ready, not a boycott.

Comment

All of my extensions finally got ported over, so I've now got FF57 working. Testing various sites looking for issues with the new versions of the extensions. NoScript seems to have picked up some of the abilities of ublock Matrix in terms of listed options for what to block or not

Comment

Now that my security/privacy extensions work with it, I can take advantage of a major security advantage of FF57: it is supposed to be sandboxed by default in such a way as to render most of the filesystem unreadable. The upload and download dialogs seem to be an exception to this (and appear to be the standard Gtk dialogs) but showing these for a read or write attack on the filesystem would be awful easy to spot. This hopefully will make fingerprinting the browser more difficult, by making is harder to enumerate hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by r0ck View Post
                      When I try to run this build over the last b14 one I've been using for days I get an error:

Code:
                      XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /data/mydata/software/firefox/libmozgtk.so:
                      libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                      Couldn't load XPCOM.
                      Did you try this solution?
                      One of the most prominent errors which are faced while launching Mozilla in Windows is the error message "Couldn't Load XPCOM." Fix it by referring us.

Comment

Working...
                      X