No announcement yet.

Apple Will No Longer Be Developing CUPS Under The GPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know 1 person who still uses printers on a daily basis.
    Home-schooling children uses lots of paper, also prints things out for church functions,and prints checks because she runs a business.
    That is actually the entire reason this person still uses Windows, the software for check printing does not work on Linux, I was able to get it working way back in 2014 using Wine, but it did not work very well, could crash at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I've already had nothing but pain with CUPS, especially when dealing with printer manufacturers that provide PPDs which make calls to their proprietary drivers that interface with CUPS. I should not have to install an additional driver package just to use a PPD.

That said, I'm trying to move away from CUPS completely (gotta get used to the whole 'driverless cloud printing' fad, y'know?) for lesser pain. Thus my next printer will be one that works with Google Cloud Print. The idea of not having to mess around with drivers is just too good to pass up; connect printer to network, log in to Google, upload PDF to Google and printer starts spitting out copies automatically.
      There are times when you REALLY don't want Google or any could server involved in your printing! From political dissidents to government spy agencies to corporations printing something containing $1M in IP, letting Google and the ad networks in on the secret could be a very bad idea.

Just imagine printing out a bunch of anonymous fliers taking credit for a direct action against a military coup government, only to find one of their spies posing as an ad executive bought your account information from Google, no warrant required...
      Last edited by Luke; 08 November 2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

In the past 7 years I've had nothing but smooth sailing with CUPS and Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Your attitude is exactly why Linux will never be a competition to Windows and MacOS on the desktop, willingness to tolerate bugs and continuously persuading yourself that it keeps getting better while in reality basic functionality often doesnt work, missing functionality, bugs etc. Geeks might tolerate that, but others dont have time and energy for that. I used to tolerate all that, but not any more, I am opening my own business and I am not risking things breaking in the middle of a business trip, subpar quality of some applications and crappy battery life. Any software setback would cost me time, energy and money, that is unacceptable and therefore I am buying a Macbook Pro, it has great battery life and everything just works without jumping through hoops to make some peripherals or software work as intended. Its proprietary? Yes and I dont give a fuck as long as it serves my purposes as intended and makes me money. In a better world Linux might do that job for me reliably, but it cant and I am not pretending it can because I know from experience it cant.
          You won't regret the choice. Working on Logic Pro, Affinity Designer/Photo and FCP X on my Macbook Pro. I use my Linux box for Blender/Natron other more computational intensive work until the iMac Pro and future Mac Pros are out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

As an apple fanboy you probably missed all of those Phoronix benchmarks? macOS as a desktop OS terribly suck at graphic performance. Not to mention its market share is niche. Linux nearly beat it. If you want some more laugh:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...l-capitan-fix/

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/14/troubleshooting-macos-high-sierra-problems/

Pathetic OS.
            As a former Apple and NeXT Engineer I don't give a crap about OpenGL. Metal 2 API rocks, Vulkan is the closest FOSS will ever have and nothing in this community touches AppKit/FoundationKit/Quartz/Quartz2D/QuartzExtreme, etc. I wouldn't buy an Android phone even if someone paid me. The entire macOS/iOS ecosystem makes computing and work a breeze. It's been that way since working at NeXT. If we had released a fraction of the in-house Apps for NeXTSTEP/Openstep people might have been huge fans. I had dozens of internal apps that ran circles around anything traditional MacOS/Windows every offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              That said, I'm trying to move away from CUPS completely (gotta get used to the whole 'driverless cloud printing' fad, y'know?) for lesser pain. Thus my next printer will be one that works with Google Cloud Print. The idea of not having to mess around with drivers is just too good to pass up; connect printer to network, log in to Google, upload PDF to Google and printer starts spitting out copies automatically.
              yeah, a printer that does not work without Internet access. And that connects to remote servers on its own with questionable protocols.

I'd rather just send stuff to be printed to third parties directly than doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                yeah, a printer that does not work without Internet access. And that connects to remote servers on its own with questionable protocols.

I'd rather just send stuff to be printed to third parties directly than doing that.
                Try trolling a little harder.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a logical and expected progression. Most people already use networked printing in their own homes, so the printer is already connected to a network switch or residential router 24/7.

Besides, all printers which are compatible with Google Cloud Print also come with standard local network printing functionality through drivers. Nothing is stopping a user from printing his/her stuff through tradtional methods such as USB printing or over the local network. A printer sure as hell does not require WAN access for a user to print over the local network.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

As a former Apple and NeXT Engineer I don't give a crap about OpenGL. Metal 2 API rocks.
                  Too bad there's no too much interest in it. I doubt it's better than Vulkan. I'd love to see Metal 2 vs OpenGL vs Vulkan benchmarks.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09 November 2017, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

I use Linux for 21 years and work as Linux and network sysadmin for 15 years so your point is? I bloody know my Linux and know well how it is slowly turning to crap on the desktop in recent years.
                    I think you didn't use Linux in desktop in the last ten years at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      I wouldn't buy an Android phone even if someone paid me.
                      You might have to once Apple stops handing out provisioning profiles on older phones. Or are you one of those guys contributing to landfill waste by buying a new phone every few months? Shame on you

(Yes, yes, you are an ex-Apple employee so they have probably forced you to post that at gunpoint, that's why my reply is purely in jest).
                      Last edited by kpedersen; 09 November 2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X