Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Will No Longer Be Developing CUPS Under The GPL

Phoronix: Apple Will No Longer Be Developing CUPS Under The GPL

One decade after Apple bought out CUPS as the de facto printing system for Unix-like operating systems, they are changing the code license...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a pity - poor RMS

Comment

Of course something like this had to happen sooner or later. Luckily it was quite later. Apache is still okay, but of course, they'll now have more opportunity to mess with the stuff. I also wonder how they can transfer the existing GPL code into something less freedom-enforcing.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Of course something like this had to happen sooner or later. Luckily it was quite later. Apache is still okay, but of course, they'll now have more opportunity to mess with the stuff. I also wonder how they can transfer the existing GPL code into something less freedom-enforcing.
        I'm wondering too. How can they relicense code of other contributors? They would have to revert all the changes by other contributors, or get their approval. Doesn't it work like that?

​​​​​

Comment

They must have signed a contract before contributing code.

Comment

what a pity

Comment

This being Apple I expect that in 5 years we'll have CUPS and CUPS for Mac. I wonder which printer makers will support.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                .. something less freedom-enforcing.
                If there ever was contradiction-in-terms..

Comment

I don't want to get into the political aspect of whether copyleft is good or not.

By doing this, apple is lifting some restrictions to what you can do with CUPS, which I see as generous from their part.
                  Last edited by paulpach; 08 November 2017, 08:02 AM.

Comment

i wonder if GPL even permits that.

Comment

Working...
                    X