No announcement yet.

Longtime GNOME Contributor & Oracle Principal UX Designer Leaves The Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always feel that hiring an UX designer is kind of weird and delusional. You try to make your UX better, but in the end you likely will have nothing but change for change's sake, for a simple reason: If you hire an UX designer you likely think that your current UX is lacking. So, the UX designer has to come up with something different than "you know, actually your UX is pretty good and there are only some minor improvements that I would recommend", more often than not it will be "look at this totally awesome new UX design that I have developed based on research I did (read: asking three friends about how awesome my idea is), featuring solutions for the newest trends". This is how it often works in web design, and I could imagine that it wasn't much different with Gnome Shell, pretty much like: "Hey, mobile is the new trend, so let's make something aimed at mobile and touch, WIMP is so 2008".

Comment

The employee in question here Just to clarify/reply to a couple of things...

1. I hadn't worked on GNOME in quite a while, and not at all on the GNOME 3 cycle. (We are shipping GNOME 3 with the next version of Solaris, but I moved from the desktop team a few years ago.)

2. GNOME 2 was never intended to win any prizes for novel interactions or startling originality. The main aim was to figure out what worked and what didn't in GNOME 1.4, which we did with a substantial usability study, and start from a cleaner, more consistent position with 2.0. Yes, it clearly owed some visual and interaction debt to Windows. But as well as the designers and proponents of various other *nix WMs and DEs, we still had a few ex-Apple folks around (via Eazel), and one of the co-authors of the GNOME 2 UI Guidelines was an Apple employee at the time. So "just make it like Windows" didn't tend to be our default starting point when we were designing anything, even though we sometimes ended up there.

3. I've never worked on the Swing team so I'm not taking any blame for that

4. Being a terrible person who hates all your freedoms, I've been re-hired by a different UX team at Oracle. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
      X