• Show
Clear All

Happy B Day! Pls don't leave Linux Gabe

Also CSGO

Wishlist is PUGB

Comment

Happy birthday Steam client!

Comment

It's a great time to be a Linux gamer, wine is making huge strides towards DX11 games, Feral and Steam are offering more and more AAA games, lots of Indie publishers are offering Linux ports, heck even GOG is offering Linux ports. AMD video cards are working beautifully, more and more Vulkan titles coming down the pike. Truly a great time to be a Linux gamer and kudos to Valve for taking the lead on all of this.

Thank you Valve.

Comment

I shall give it another try soon, and hopefully it won't run again into library troubles. But kudos to Valve for just getting on the Linux track!
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Well, It's *my* birthday today!

Comment

My hope for the future of the Linux Steam Client?
              I could create a list of games, but this may happen anyway and the list would be "pretty fluent" so to speak. Therefore, my wish is a bit different:
              The Linux Steam Client should directly support Windows games via Wine

Currently you're completely off the planet if you want to play your favorite game that is only available on Linux. You cannot even access it from the Linux Steam Client. Think about how nice the world would be if you could just launch the Windows games too. This would make the crude hack to first install PlayOnLinux, then the Windows Steam client and then the Game completely unnecessary.

Comment

Yes, Steam should switch to a 64 bit client, provide Wayland support for the client and for streaming, update the Ubuntu run time and request more 64 bit builds from the game developers. There is plenty to do to improve Steam. But besides the the frequent hick-ups with libraries on a rolling release system like Arch Linux it is working not too bad and I appreciate the recent upstream driver development like RADV.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  tenth anniversary
                  And it really shows. A 32-bit client made for Ubuntu 12? In 2017? Please.

I have seen responses to requests for a 64-bit client from Valve, it's apparently about older games that are only 32-bit. I don't quite get the logic there, though, the client itself wouldn't need to be 32-bit to launch 32-bit games? Perhaps I'm missing something. They would obviously need the ancient libraries for those ancient games since they probably require very old library versions and 32 versions of them.

My personal preference would be to make it optional, though, I'd be fine with a separate 32-bit package called "steam-32bit-legacy", older games could just not show up unless you install that. It would limit the games available for those who just install the 64-bit package, but I don't see the big problem if there's an option for those who want some older game(s).

The library versions is probably a bigger issue, though. Libraries that are 5 years older than the system libraries isn't exactly a good thing. And this isn't going to improve as time passes, Ubuntu 12 isn't getting any newer. Valve will have to find a better solution (flatpacks?) because it wouldn't be all that better if they released a client made for Ubuntu 16 right now - we'd have the same situation 3-5 years from now.

The worst thing about Steam in my opinion is that it's not exactly stable on GNU/Linux, not on Fedora anyway. I installed a game just last week that wouldn't launch, it just didn't start. I'm guessing I could have fixed it if I had looked into it but I didn't bother. Paying for games isn't exactly tempting when it's likely that I'll have to mess around with startup scripts and do a lot of searching just to make it run.

One last little detail which is annoying: I installed Steam on a second computer not that long ago and found that there is no multi-device sync, no list of games or anything like that from the steam installation on the first computer showed up on the second (same username). There could be some argument against auto-installing games on one device on the next but I think there should at least be a list you can choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Particle View Post

A lot of people would like to see a 64-bit Steam client. It's one of the chief complaints I see people make, and it's a sentiment that I share. Having to multi-arch just for Steam and dealing with all of the complexities of it is a bit absurd when they could do a 64-bit build and end this problem.
                    Considering the games themselves will often require multi-arch it may be better user experience if you require it's sorted out before you even begin using Steam rather than let the user experience breakage after setting things up (and even paying for and downloading 32bit games should I add)
                    They also probably need a 32bit client if they don't want to kick their 32bit users (where 32bit is especially huge though is Windows, even just 7/8/10, the supported versions, may have a few hundred millions users of the 32bit versions of the OS)

Sure, why not do a 64bit client, but the benefit (no multi-arch) applies only to people who play only 64bit games and never use Wine (or only run 64bit Windows software on Wine). So, do you maintain a list of 32bit games, 64bit games and games with binaries for both perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                    X