Valve Now Reports The Steam Linux Marketshare At Just 0.35%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vortex View Post
    What they need to do is get anonymized data automatically, so we can finally see accurate numbers.
    Ends in 2017. Linux people still think that the reason "non-working survey" and not something else..

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post

I think no, because this version is Windows10 but rose only Windows7.
      Perhaps they massively use non legit Windows 7 even if a freebie Windows 10 is available.
      A decade ago, it was common to wipe OEM Vista and install warez Windows XP instead (which conveniently required no activation, and warez Windows 7 doesn't either)

For linux, I wonder how many users gave up games. When Steam was released there was pent up demand for any gaming (Counterstrike 1.x available more than a decade after Windows!), little cheap games to buy. Past that, there's not the huge back catalog of Windows games (90s and 00s) and you have to replace computer parts or buy a new PC to keep up with the requirements (newer OpenGL versions, fast CPU, large storage). e.g. dual core 2GHz CPU is good for about anything except games.
      It's for a subset of users that are both on linux and will spend hundreds on upgrades for a desktop computer in 2017 (or buy a gaming laptop). That's still millions people mind you, but not 100 millions.
      Last edited by grok; 01 November 2017, 11:58 PM.

Comment

As others have noted this is due to an influx from China.

That survey also says HTC Vive and Oculus Rift were 0.19% and 0.18% a month ago and now both are 0.12%. I doubt the number of owners of those have plummeted so this must either be a change in the way stats are gathered or many additional Windows-and-not-VR users.

Meanwhile SteamSpy's stats have gone from 46M active and 261M total users to 53M active, 272M total. I've not seen a change that large before.

Comment

Maybe more ppl are switching from Steam to GOG. I personally never payed Steam, instead I buy from GOG. No middleware, no harm.

Comment

This is very inaccurate. None of my 3 linux boxes have EVER been part of the survey.

What they need to do is get anonymized data automatically, so we can finally see accurate numbers.
            Let's have two dozens of comments like yours.

This doesn't change shit: there are roughly 300 times more Windows users who decline to participate in Steam Survey.

Why do Linux users always think they are special, they privacy concerns are special, and their worldview is also special? You could remove a crown from your head once in a while.

You're in no way special and Steam matters because people who actually game do use Steam.

Comment

Valve also hasn't released any Linux specific Steam client fixes nor any updates to SteamOS in a few months as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
                Valve should fix the survey rate on Linux...
                Or even better, remove the survey popup and just pop up a form on first start that asks you whether to let Valve collect data for the monthly reports every time you launch Steam...
                The Steam-world does not revolve around Linux only.
                You can't call Valve's data sampling broken or rigged simply because you don't like it's results. That's Trump style...

According to Valve's presentation [1], they have nearly 1.5Mio new users per month. 63% of all purchases are from NA/EU. In these regions, Linux is widely spread.
                You can be sure that for these regions Steam's user acquisition is mostly saturated.
                So most of the growth comes from Asia and SA. Especially in Asia Linux has no marketshare.

[1] https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...is-coming.9947

Comment

This is very inaccurate. None of my 3 linux boxes have EVER been part of the survey.

And then what would you do when the real numbers are even below this 0.25%? At least the monthly survey-is-inaccurate posts will stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    Valve also hasn't released any Linux specific Steam client fixes nor any updates to SteamOS in a few months as well.
                    False, they released a huge Steam update two days ago, where they fixed a lot of input issues across all platforms, including a Linux specific fix [1].

[1] http://store.steampowered.com/news/33500/

Comment

For all the people who upgraded to VEGA, this would make sense. Still no in Distro repo drivers that work well for AMD cards, not until 4.15 kernel is standard which could take a year given that many distros still only allow 4.9 (from stable repos that most use).

Most people don't switch to testing or unstable branches, or seek out launchpad ppa or other repositories, on top of that there can be huge issues such as the Oibaf ppa wanting to basically uninstall my linux install as of late just to install it....

Comment

Working...
                      X