Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Now Reports The Steam Linux Marketshare At Just 0.35%

Phoronix: Valve Now Reports The Steam Linux Marketshare At Just 0.35%

Days ahead of the five year anniversary of Steam being publicly available on Linux and well off the ~2% highs for Steam's Linux marketshare, the numbers for October 2017 are now being reported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wonder how accurately they can even measure this. I figure there's no way it's actually fluctuating this wildly, unless oodles of new windows and mac customers are being surveyed.

Comment

That is so normal.

At last two months i've started to see so many Chinese nicknames on Cs:Go.

​​​​​​Microsoft has a special Windows version for Chinese market which some way crippled but functioning. But it has a perk.

It is free to use. Do the math.

Comment

This is very inaccurate. None of my 3 linux boxes have EVER been part of the survey.

What they need to do is get anonymized data automatically, so we can finally see accurate numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
          That is so normal.

​​​​​​Microsoft has a special Windows version for Chinese market which some way crippled but functioning. But it has a perk.

Also, from what I understand, PUBG is cycling through accounts like crazy. Items from the game sell well, so if you can pay 30$ for a game, cheat for a few days, make a ton of money off the illicit rewards, get banned, make a new account. You're paying for the accounts too, so steam registers them as valid accounts.

Overall, I'd guess linux usage is stagnate or slightly increasing, (1 million to 1.5 million, etc), but total accounts is growing even faster (100 million to 200 million)

Comment

Most Linux users don't game. The ones that do, dual boot. Graphics card usage on Linux is for "professional" use, i.e. GPGPU, render farms, CAD modeling, and workstations. Like the first generation of video games, primary use case for FOSS video games is a graphics card test/showcase.

Valve sees Linux as a insurance solution so its fate is not tied to Microsoft, as a Linux desktop would be an easier transition than going to a console, and Linux is free, and like they already do with SteamOS, they can ship their own customized for their own purposes. That isn't a bad idea. Especially for companies to develop around technologies to make porting easier like OpenGL or Vulkan.

Linux use is increasing overall. Most of those new users are likely worried about privacy and security, especially as Windows 10 starts getting more and more intrusive. These people are likely not gamers. If they are gamers, they are likely dual booting windows.

Comment

I got prompted again tonight to do the survey. This is the second time this year. I always click "cancel" though, mostly because their privacy policy is overly long and full of legal speak. I suspect I am not the only Linux user out there that does the same. :-)

Comment

Something wrong:
                Windows 7 64 bit
                +22.59%

Windows 10 64 bit
                -17.14%

Comment

This is definitely not normal. Look at OSX it dropped by 1.14%, and windows 10 dropped by 17.14%, while windows 7 increased by 22.59%. What is up with these numbers? I don't think such a large number of users just decided to switch to windows 7 out of no where other the past month.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                    That is so normal.

Looks like you got it right. Look at the language section. Chinese +26.83%

Comment

Working...
                    X