Steam VR Marketshare Already Larger Than Steam Linux Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

There was a lot of talk about screen door effect with the Occulus Rift developer kits (the DK1 was specially bad with it's 640x800 per-eye resolution) and how it needed to be sorted out in the consumer version. The consumer version of it, and the HTC Vive, both use displays that are enough of a leap forward in terms of pixel density to solve the problem. Even the PSVR, which has an even lower per-eye resolution, doesn't suffer from screen door effect.

What you're hearing is really just a combination of outdated information, sour grapes, FUD-induced placebo and just straight up FUD...
    This isn't entirely true. I own an HTC Vive. When playing the majority of games when you're moving around, I don't see the screen door effect. When I'm watching a movie in a virtual theater, I definitely do. It was the first time I'd actually noticed it on the Vive.

The worse thing about the current ones is text. I don't know if it's the resolution, the scaling, or what, but text is a problem because it's blurry (as any initial 3D cards also trying to render text in 3D is. I think they solved that by making text as a hud usually, or zooming in on the text, it's just a problem in general for some reason).

Apparently the Pixmax 8k handles the text wonderfully in Elite: Dangerous. Problem is the whole 'is it 75hz or 90hz?' somewhere in between? Maybe once they get that sorted, I'd consider getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
      What you're describing sounds more like a scaling problem than anything else. With the screen door effect you start seeing the lines between the pixels and subpixels making up objects like letters in text, not blur. If the problem really was about the screen door effect, then the issue would also show up with HUD text and actually get worse with it as HUD text is going to be closer to you, thus making it more likely to suffer from screen door effect, than text in the environment.

So all in all it just seems like you don't know what the screen door effect really is...
      Last edited by L_A_G; 31 October 2017, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Sorry but it's a fact that Vive, Rift CV1 & co just don't have enough pixels to render small fonts in a readable resolution. The fonts in HUDs etc. are *huge* in order to be readable. Imagine a virtual 24 inch monitor with a virtual distance like 20-40cm from you showing some fonts with size 12-14, as seen by a Vive or Rift CV1. I can guarantee that you can read absolutely nothing.

There's this startup http://www.varjo.com/media/ that claims to develop some high resolution technology, where a high resolution image is following your eyes via eye tracking and some weird projector setup.

Not sure if their technology will actually work (or if it will work with acceptable latency), but this demo image of theirs shows the difference:

Comment

Working...
        X