No announcement yet.

Steam VR Marketshare Already Larger Than Steam Linux Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam survey is not only broken by the methodology, but also by the way they decide a source sample. To get a realistic share, only games who actually support Linux should be in a sample pool, and I can bet on my Kernel sanity that the figures would be 2-3% as some publishers claim... And I also bet that most of those who ever receive survey request @ their Linux boxes simply ignore the thing...

Comment

Maybe Linux users could try actually buying games if they wanted people to port them!
      Speaking of myself, I've not pirated even a single game since I graduated and got my first job many many years ago.
      When selecting a game to buy, I always look for Linux support, and am inclined to buy even if I'm not immediately interested in playing the game. Up to now I have collected over 200 games with Linux support on my account.

So, maybe game devs could try actually releasing Linux games before telling us gamers what to do, huh?

That said, I stopped buying games without Linux support as soon as Linux Steam was released. Tux before bucks, or so they say. I still win a lot of Faildows-only games on steamgifts though...

Comment

Its always the same, we are in the middle of a process and users that play today on Linux are nothing more than Beta testers. The majority wont spend money on something that just works worse. When thinks are working better or at least almost same as on Windows, Gamers will switch. But as long as I have to run some ugly LD_preload hacks, have to read through lengthy "how to make this game work" threads, get only 3/4 of performance, have heavy stuttering as long as the shader cache hasnt cached the current game scene, Valve isnt even able to fix old CS: GO Gnome bug or other bugs, high input lag, driver release take ages...
        And now someone really expects thousands come around the corner and buy buy buy???
        Really?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

The methodology is likely a random, once-a-month survey that will ask people to do a survey.
          Does this mean that Windows has a more deterministic random number generator than Linux?

Comment

Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais‏ should be happy they have linux since Amazon app store with twith.tv will now be selling games for win and mac. Youtube game reviewer's are switching to twitch and they make money if people buy games.

Anyway 2 weeks ago I booted to windows and installed Amazon lumberyard game engine to test it out. A week later linux support was dropped (server still supported). It's sad to see Ubuntu 17.10 released with Amazon web app. What's even more depressing is hearing Ubuntu 18.04 will be called 'bionic beaver' since the beaver is the mascot for lumberyard too.
            It's sad to see Ubuntu linux used for game servers on Amazon web services for windows and mac games.

Valve's reaction to the windows store is linux. I wonder how much market share steam has against all the other app stores? If i have to use windows why use steam so many app stores to choose from?

Comment

To be honest, if you need people buy more games, maybe take in consideration bring more AAA tittle to Linux. Usually AAA games make more sells than indie games.
              So far all the AAA games bring to linux aren't my type of game, example Xcom 2 I did play the one and finished it, but wasn't my kind of game. That is the reason I didn't buy it. I do buy Hitman it's great game.
              If they will bring more MMORPG or JRPG game to Linux it will interesting from my point of view, but also regular games that they realease so often like FIFA or PES or NBA. They release it every year and that kind of game are more the kind of game to play on the coach with a steam box.
              Usually we are getting the same kind of game release to linux, but we are forgetting so many style of game that we don't have.
              Another topic rigth now if you are considering bring to linux game pick an API multiplatform, pick Vulkan and you are done. You won't need too much to make it work with linux if you pick that kind of API and have similiar performance as other SO. When we get ported to Linux, usually people benchmark and seems less frame than windows, they re think to use a another SO that will have less fps on game. Even is a slow game like Civ V.

Comment

The problem with commercial games on GNU/Linux? The ports are ports, not real cross platform from the start developed games, this causes a big delay for the Linux release, higher requirements (e.g. XCOM linux requires a 3 generations newer GPU than on windows and even then it runs laggy) and loads of bugs (e.g semi transparent boarder around mouse cursor on AMD GPUs plagues nearly half of games). In effect the games are poor quality and playing them is cumbersome. Oh yeah, and usually there's only 1 distro with 1 GPU tested and supported (failbuntu and cashvidia).

Get the devs to actually learn the platform, use it daily to develop, and then maybe the games will be proper quality on GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                  Having lots of games doesn't mean having lots of good games
                  but linux has lots of good games
                  Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                  and there are still several entire gaming genre's where linux has literally zero good offerings.
                  play other genres and wait, it is not hard

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    I suspect the fact that a lot of Linux users dual booting and having purchased a lot of games before they became available on Linux may skew the numbers to some extent.
                    buying games before they are ported leaves porters without payment. always buy after port, buy from linux client and play on linux during first week to assure that sale is accounted as linux one and porters get your money. otherwise everyone will think that linux is too small market (because it is when you pay windows devs only)

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                      Most of them are garbage though that I wouldn't buy even when discounted.
                      so are most of windows games. i was talking about good games.

Comment

Working...
                      X