Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam VR Marketshare Already Larger Than Steam Linux Marketshare

Phoronix: Steam VR Marketshare Already Larger Than Steam Linux Marketshare

Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais‏ who is heavily involved in their Linux efforts as well as those around virtual reality has commented the VR market-share is already larger than the entire Steam Linux market-share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a little difficult to buy the games for Linux before they are ported. It's not the most convincing argument as stated. :P

Comment

Every game I've played on my desktop for the last 3 years, I've bought it from Steam and played it on Linux only (it's been years since Windows disappeared from my personal computer). It's not much, I'm not a hardcore gamer nor do I have a great salary, but I've already bought about 30 titles, including some AAA games that where on sale.

Comment

So, I don't have a statistics background, but I do understand basic math.

If we look at the Steam Hardware Survey:

All reported VR marketshare (HTC Vive + Oculus Rift + Rift DK2) = 0.38%

Linux: 0.60%

I might be crazy, but I'm pretty sure that 0.60 is a bigger number than 0.38.

Comment

I have linux steam, 433 linux games of 889, i only use linux to play and wine if necessary for the other 400, I'm the only one? I spend lot of money buying linux games to support development of new ones....

Comment

Well that is a shocking stupid statement....

If the idea is to increase the marketshare (the thing he is attacking), or even if simply saying larger marketshare=better/more important his insult makes 0 logical sense. If every Linux user on steam bought every single game on steam it would not change the Linux marketshare at all.

Comment

Some of the Valve Linux games have easy bugs to fix and they refuse to fix them. Valve is just too damn lazy. I don't want to hear about how they're rubbing nickels over there and can't afford to fix anything.

Linux could have been a nice gaming platform but the industry abides by certain politics. But that whole Steam Machines / SteamOS effort was a joke.

Comment

Looking foreward to seeing Atari 2018 on Linux.

I wouldnt be surprised if Playstation 5 is built on Linux.

I spent 1100$ on Linux GPUs in the last 3 years and own hundreds of games, dudes statement is arrogant at best.

Opening his mouth talking about something he knows nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by zekesonxx View Post
                  So, I don't have a statistics background, but I do understand basic math.

If we look at the Steam Hardware Survey:

All reported VR marketshare (HTC Vive + Oculus Rift + Rift DK2) = 0.38%

Linux: 0.60%

I might be crazy, but I'm pretty sure that 0.60 is a bigger number than 0.38.
                  I think he's referring to the amount of money spent on games. It makes some sense that VR early adopters would have more money in general to spend on games.

At least, that's my most charitable interpretation. I don't think it's really all that easy to tell either way. I will say that the desktop VR gaming market will probably be larger than the desktop Linux gaming market at some point in the near future, since the latter is basically static, and the former is still growing (albeit slowly).

For what it's worth, Pierre is very much in favour of Linux gaming, I think he just thinks it's unwise to ignore the basic market problem which prevents companies from offering their games on the platform: revenue expectations. That is to say, unless the average Linux Steam user pays ten times as much on games (and you have enough good games to catch that revenue), OS X has a higher rate of return until/unless SteamBoxes take off.
                  Last edited by microcode; 25 October 2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

It's interesting to know that the VR market is already bigger than Linux, but then again the latest Steam numbers put Linux at only around a 0.6% marketshare.
                    Please stop quoting these numbers. We don't know the methodology of Steam survey, and we don't know what those numbers mean. So simply ignore them - they are useless for any serious discussion.

Comment

Working...
                    X